Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Wing Folding

Question Wing Folding

I am the proud owner of a "Classic Model IV" Kitfox. The plane did not come with the wing fold bracket or braces.

The other Kitfoxes that I have seen have a tab welded to the tubing on the vertical tail (Just above the h-stab) that the wing braces hook to when the wings are folded. This plane does not have these. There is a tube (currently covered with fabric) similar to the trailer hitch mount tubes on the front of the vertical stab in front of the h-stab. Is this for some other design brackets?

Does anyone have a Classic IV that they can photo showing the folded wing bracket mounts??

Thanks in advance!
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Default Re: Wing Folding

Larry, the tube hidden behind the fabric might be the item you're looking for. I will try to attach a link to "Folding the wings" demo. that might show it on a model 7 in the 1st photo on page 8 of the document.
    http://kitfox.lazair.com/skystar/Ins...r/wingfold.pdf

Yours may differ since the demo shows a model 7.
    I will , if I get to the airport tomorrow, get a couple photos of my model 4 and of the braces. If there's anything else you need a photo of just let me know.

If you didn't get the braces with the aircraft I'm sure John McBean can fix you up with those.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Larry, I'm sure the tube behind the fabric is the place where the bolt goes through that holds the braces that attach to the folded wings. If you need to "uncover" that tube you can hold the fabric tight against the tube and use a small ball pean hammer and carefully tap several times around the entire edge of the tubing and you will make a perfectly round hole using the tubing as a fabric cutter. Hopefully there is a reinforcement patch there to strengthen the hole. If you don't need to use the tube yet just leave it until you do.
    I'll still try to get a couple photos in a day or so as I was unable to get out to the hangar today. Maybe someone has a good photo on their computer and will share.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

That's the same way I used to make gaskets out of sheet gasket-material for odd items.

There isn't any reinforcement patches, but I have to do some re-taping and other small fabric repairs, so they will be added during this process.

Follow-up question:

Are the braces that go from the lift strut, fuselage mount, to the front spar, really needed when the wing is folded? I don't have these, either.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

The braces for the lift strut to front spar is; really.....really needed.
    Don't try moving the aircraft without this support brace in place for each wing.

The transport kit can be found on page 53, (Wings & wing options). Price $385.00. of the Kitfox Aircraft Parts & Accessories Catalog (Kitfox Aircraft LLC).

Cheers.

I have a set of the lift strut/spar braces I inherited when I bought a trailer from a guy who had a Model IV. Send me an address and I'll send them to you. I have no use for them, as I have a set for my 5, and they are taking up space.
    David E.
    Woodstock, Georgia
    N97DE S5 TD Flying

N97KE RV-9A Sold
    N96KE RV10 Sold
    Rans S21 Helping Brother Build (Selling)
    Vans RV-14A (On Order)

PM Sent to you, Agfoxflyer.

Thank you very much.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Don't forget; you will neede the padded cover that slips over the virtical tail.
    Without this you will at least damage the paint with the flaperons.
    I used to have the kit but a long time ago, gave it to someone on the matronics list.

When I used to trailer my Classic IV to Covington airport I would not travel faster that 60 mph. Watch out for big trucks that pass you, I used to slow down a bit and keep tight to the hard shoulder to avoid the slip stream bashing as much as I could.
    Don't forget to bungee the control stick secure and any other control (aelerons). Or your slip stream buffeting will try to destroy your surfaces.

Eric.

Larry,

Didn't find the braces downstairs in "the aircraft factory". I must have left them at the airport, which is 50 miles away. I'll get them this week end while I'm there and send out next week.

David
    David E.
    Woodstock, Georgia
    N97DE S5 TD Flying

N97KE RV-9A Sold
    N96KE RV10 Sold
    Rans S21 Helping Brother Build (Selling)
    Vans RV-14A (On Order)

Still much appreciated! The plane isn't going anywhere right now, anyway...
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos