Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Do you "winterize" your 2 stroke?

Default Do you "winterize" your 2 stroke?

I'm learning more and more about my new project that's been stored for 10 years. I've learned that 2-strokes don't like to be left alone and neglected for a decade. Being born and raised in California and now living in Indiana I've also learned that for five or six months of the year you tend to pretty much stay indoors. My mod. IV will always winter in the barn, but does it need any special winterization done to the engine before the long nap? I talked to a certified overhaul shop, it needs an overhaul, that said they really need to be flown every couple weeks. Unless I figure out a new way to store everything in the barn, that is not likely to happen.

Default Re: Do you "winterize" your 2 stroke?

Use fogging oil on it (per the instructions) then cover the carbs with plastic and plug the exhaust.

But the real answer is why park it? Indiana isn't that cold all winter, there will be plenty of days to fly it…
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I flew my model 2 year round in New Hampshire, the onlything i did to the plane was to put to doors on in october and take them back off in april
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

My problem is I don't have a dedicated hangar. I have my own airstrip, but come winter I have to play a complex game of Chinese Checkers to get everything indoors. I would like to cut a 35' opening in the side of the barn and install a bi-fold door so I can keep it indoors with the wings out. Then come winter, fold it up, put it away, and shoehorn the fifth-wheel into the barn. I thought about looking into a used port-a-port, but I guess they are no longer made and very rare. I also considered building something like a T hangar.

Winter is a great time of year to fly, smoother air, better lift, ect. I'm in northern Mn. and I fly all year. Usually on skis from December to April. We have lots of wooded areas around here, but also tons of lakes which make for good landing areas once they freeze over. I think you could walk on about half of them this morning without breaking through. It's COLD today. Jim Chuk

It was a bit chilly here in Indy this morning too, 26. The pool was frozen, but not that much! No parting the waters for me!

I've been waiting on a brand new hangar to be finished for 4 months,..been in a community hangar since I bought the model 5,..but it's almost done ~!! maybe before Christmas alreay got the "man cave" sign for the personnel door
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL