Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Rotax 582 engine swap to a blue head

Default Rotax 582 engine swap to a blue head

I posted earlier about thinking of going to a 912 from the 582 gray head engine. Further research has led me to believe that a blue head engine swap may be the best way to go for many reasons. However, I found on the engine forums that someone else was having issues with his swap. I was wondering if anyone can fill me in on the differences in these two engines? I thought the swap would be pretty straight forward.

Default Re: Rotax 582 engine swap to a blue head

I swaped 20year old grey head (450hrs crank renewed at 300hrs) for 5year old blue head with 240hrs.Straight forward swap,no snags(mk2).Cant say performance was any better,but my mind was easier with newer engine .Better cooling for rear cylinder is a bonus.I cant see where there could be a problem,these engines are identical apart from the plumbing.

That's what seems to be the issue. The water outlet on top of the engine is too close to the top cowling and there is a bolt or stud that is right up against the engine mount tubing.

I should have said"new cooling system heats rear cylinder better than old system when starting cold engine"..The highest point on the cooling system (apart from filler/header tank)is no higher than spark plug caps,which leaves a good space up to cowle .Pipe on front of cylinder head on foto was temporary,untill 90deg nipple was fitted to the"highest plug" in outlet socket .As for bolt/stud fouling eng mount!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Another photo of silver top installed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the photos Fred. I don't see any water jacket outlet on the side of the head like what he was showing me on his engine. I may have a deal on a zero time engine that is five years old. It may be in as bad a shape as my gray head, who knows.