Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: 1990 Kitfox with issues

Default 1990 Kitfox with issues

I have a 1990 Kitfox 2 with 700 hours on the airframe. The 582 was last overhauled by Rotax Rick and it quit running, stripped cross shaft drive gear. The airplane also had the gear knocked off sometime in* the past as there is evidence of wing tip repair and 2 flaperon wood tail ribs having repairs. I dont think any of the kitfox SB were ever done to this* plane . The fuel system has two small wing tanks that feed into a small aluminum "U" shapped header tank under the dash. When I removed this metal header tank I found red silicon sealant IN the OPUTLET FITTING!!!!! This is the same thing that killed that guy in a Vans RV that resulted in a big lawsuit....I found an electric pump installed and I think that is why. The is an electric pulse pump plumbed in parallel to the main vacuum pump which* seemed a bit odd and I can tell it was put on after the plane had flown some time. I dont have the logs but the seller found them and is flying them up* to me in a few days. I will end up rewiring the whole plane. The seat truss is "tweaked" a litte but not enough to replace it... The plane has the coil spring bungee cub type Vee cabane landing gear. I finally found out is it Kitfox factory bush gear beacuse the axles are matco bolt on axles so they can be shimmed. Ill enclose photos. I am mainly concerned on if I should effect a better repair on the tail ribs to the flaperon???? The broken tail rib part was glued on and then doublers added to each side. I have a copy of Kitfox SB #9 and could make the aluminum* repair parts...what do you think guysI bought a hydralic lift table from Harbor Freight Tools and used that to lift theplane by the front float fittings....The MLG photo shows the bolt on axles....tinhe wing spars are think .062 I think but have that riser milled inside. Photos of the lift table enclosed and a ISO metric drawing of a coil spring type shock stut. I know the shock strut* will work but I am going to weld up 2 new shock struts and wrap them with bungess. I am more familar with that and I am concerned that if the coil spring bottom out, the frame will get bent more. It is already tweaked a little bit...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: 1990 Kitfox with issues

I am maybe more conservative than most, but if it were mine I would uncover the wing at the broken ribs and at least have a good look and probably replace the ribs; replumb the entire fuel system; repair the seat truss; repair any tweaked part of the airframe. In other words a lot of work.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Ditto, I would do the same.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Dont worry, there is no way I am flying this "christmas bullet" until I go thru it several times.. The engine is out for OVH and all new hoses and radiators on the way. The wings are coming off soon. I fixed most of the issues with the MLG legs, installed a new TW and am completely redoing the fuel and electrical system...lots and lots of work.....probably should have thought twice before I bought it....

Quote Originally Posted by zadwit View Post
    Dont worry, there is no way I am flying this "christmas bullet" until I go thru it several times.. The engine is out for OVH and all new hoses and radiators on the way. The wings are coming off soon. I fixed most of the issues with the MLG legs, installed a new TW and am completely redoing the fuel and electrical system...lots and lots of work.....probably should have thought twice before I bought it....
    But what a great little plane and fun you will have.
    As for some of the bent tubes, you mentioned replace the seat truss. You may be able to straighten it. Mine had similar issues and I was able to repair using some of the techniques in this old training video. More than 50 years old but still applicable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mABYn7UFgVA
    Norm
    Airdrie Ab, Can
    North of Calgary
    Flying SuperFox Model IV

Haa Haa I had no idea what you were saying about a Christmas Bullet until I looked it up !

https://www.thevintagenews.com/2016/...orst-aircraft/

Norm, love that old video, hand drill and all, very well explained and just as good today.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS