Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Autogas

Default Re: Autogas

I ordered a tote of Swift fuel this past summer after talking with them at Oshkosh. The tote was shipped to me by a freight hauler, delivered to my business. The truck had a lift gate, the tote holds 350 gal, I transferred the fuel into our own tanks, 2-100 gal tanks on a trailer that I bought from Tractor Supply, the balance of the fuel was put into 55gal drums that my flying buddies used to take their share of the purchase. With freight charges, fuel charges, state tax charges the fuel was still less than the local airports 100LL.
    Give Swift a call, you can order fuel in 55gal drums also. I was their first delivery in Pa.

Thanks John, I was planning on calling you to see what your plan for fuel was. I did a search on ethanol free gas and was shocked at how many places sold it. I already own several 5 gallon gas jugs, so I have dropped down from panic level 5, to about 0.5. Fuel will not be causing me anxiety for now.

I spent 3 hours last night watching some YouTube videos featuring a Rotax expert at an airshow. After listening to him speak about what 100LL does in a Rotax, I didn’t want to be using it. More $/gallon to possibly quadruple my oil change costs and time required to clean out the oil tank. No thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Flybyjim View Post
    I ordered a tote of Swift fuel this past summer after talking with them at Oshkosh. The tote was shipped to me by a freight hauler, delivered to my business. The truck had a lift gate, the tote holds 350 gal, I transferred the fuel into our own tanks, 2-100 gal tanks on a trailer that I bought from Tractor Supply, the balance of the fuel was put into 55gal drums that my flying buddies used to take their share of the purchase. With freight charges, fuel charges, state tax charges the fuel was still less than the local airports 100LL.
    Give Swift a call, you can order fuel in 55gal drums also. I was their first delivery in Pa.
    Really interesting to hear. Awesome that essentially you cut out the middle man since no refineries would ship you fuel if you weren’t going through a distributor
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

For information: the rotax 912iS operators manual stipulates 92 oct. minimum.
    There are 4 listed airports in Wa. that offer MOGAS (92 oct no ethanol). The fuel tanks used in the SS7 are made from material which is resistant to ethanol.
    I believe (????) they can be identified by having serial numbers etched into the inboard face. The fuel at my home airport (KOKH) has mogas however, the supplier also has the same fuel available at two of their auto fuel stations in the area which carry all three grades of no ehtanol.

The min octane on the 912iS is 91
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Quote Originally Posted by neville View Post
    For information: the rotax 912iS operators manual stipulates 92 oct. minimum.
    There are 4 listed airports in Wa. that offer MOGAS (92 oct no ethanol). The fuel tanks used in the SS7 are made from material which is resistant to ethanol.
    I believe (????) they can be identified by having serial numbers etched into the inboard face. The fuel at my home airport (KOKH) has mogas however, the supplier also has the same fuel available at two of their auto fuel stations in the area which carry all three grades of no ehtanol.

I thought I had seen somewhere that the fiberglass fuel tanks were susceptible to degradation due to ethanol and that is why it should be avoided. (Kitfox, not Rotax). Rotax seems to be concerned about ethanol because it can off gas and change the AKI or can come out of solution due to water in the fuel, which also can change the AKI. Both Kitfox and Rotax are concerned about the stability of auto gas that sits for even short periods of time. This is where 100LL shines. It is very stable over time and far less likely to varnish the carb bowl...

Does anyone have documentation regarding the use of ethanol auto gas on the Kitfox being recommended/not recommended.

Here is a link to part 1 of Rotax stuff. There is some discussion about fuel 100LL in there somewhere. https://youtu.be/DFfxHbaU_Bs
    Last edited by Flyboy66; 01-06-2018 at 08:20 AM. Reason: Added video link

There are old legacy tanks that are not ethanol resistant. All kitfox tanks now are ethanol resistant
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

John,

Where do you get that information. I don’t have the kit yet, so no Flight Handbook etc.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Flybyjim View Post
    Very interesting Jim, do you remember what the pricing came out to per gallon. Thanks Bruce N199CL

Quote Originally Posted by Flyboy66 View Post
    John,

Where do you get that information. I don’t have the kit yet, so no Flight Handbook etc.

Steve
    It’s not really written anywhere that I know of. It’s just common knowledge after bring on this forum for a while. I think on my packing slip the tanks were labelled ethanol resistant. Either way here is a quote from 10 years ago from John:

“We have done some changes over that past 6 months... although I do not think our tanks as of 1996 to 2007 have had any specific issues. (no reported issues)

As of this year we are using a new resin. To date.. we have put some pretty harsh materials in them with no effect. For the last several months they have had both 10% and 85% ethanol fuels in them and no effect.

I will not go into the details of the resins as it is proprietary information.

Fly Safe !!“

You can always call the factory too
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3