Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trig Avionics ??

Default Trig Avionics ??

Anyone familiar with Trig Avionics? I just heard of them yesterday. Looking for comments, pro or con. I've been looking at their TY 91 Com and TT 22 Transponder.

Thanks
    Brian

Default Re: Trig Avionics ??

Pretty sure that the Dynon transponders are tebranded Trig. I’ve only heard good things.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

I had two consecutive crappy Ameriking encoders fail that also got gonked by the FAA when I found out I should have installed a Trig encoder in the first place.

Trig is recommended by a pal of mine who works for an avionics firm and that is what he installs on his personal aircraft. Costs more; but, sometimes those who sell for less know what their stuff is worth.

I haven't had any experience with Trig's com devices but have heard good about their encoders based on my avionics friend's recommendations and experience.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

They're certainly more popular in Europe than the USA but they've been around some time and they make good equipment. I've bought their kit and so has a friend of mine who is at the final stages of building his RV8 in Oz. The boxes are tiny and weigh nothing

Their customer service is excellent and whenever I've asked any questions they've got back to me promptly and solved my query every time, including taking the time to examine various diagrams and ideas I've sent for them to check I've got it right.

If you're using an MGL EFIS then you can control both the radio and transponder through it and buy only the remote-mount boxes for the Trig radio and transponder. MGL make a harness for the transponder or else you can make your own just using the CAN bus. The EFIS 'talks' to the radio via an RS232 connection to the TMAP pins in the radio (that sounds a lot more complicated than it is). If you do want the control heads in your panel then they're probably the most flexible installation available as you can have the complete circle or install it with the top and bottom of the circle chopped off if you're really limited on panel space. Having the control head and box as a separate entity means you've got a lot more options available to you and don't need to have trays sticking out the back of your panel.

In the UK it is permitted to use a Class 2 transponder and non-compliant GPS source for ADSB, so the TT21 is probably the best buy. In the US that obviously is not an option, so the TT22 as a Class 1 device is clearly the best way to go and it is very easy to plug in your (approved) GPS source to provide ADSB Out.

The built in intercom works very well and there is definitely no need to install a separate one. As with many radios there is an auxiliary audio input and it is but one wire from your EFIS to that pin and your EFIS audio warnings will be piped to your headset, including AOA tones if you choose to install one of those through the EFIS.

The 6W of the radio has been absolutely fine every time I've used one and I've never heard of anyone who has experienced range problems etc in the GA environment. At the speeds we fly it really is not necessary to have a more powerful radio such as the TY92 (which is really for 28V systems anyway).

So far my experience with the Trig product has been very good and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. If anything alters in that opinion I'll be sure to let you know

Also best bang for your buck for an ADSB compliant system is to buy a used Garmin 327 and buy a GDL 88
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

WOW! $3500 - 4000 for a GDL 88 is not what I would consider a good bang for the buck value, Josh.

I'm leaning more toward this option. Link. Once they add strobe, position and the matching opposite wing tip unit.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Wow, very economical. I spent a lot of $ on Garmin stuff.
    Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r3400 View Post
    WOW! $3500 - 4000 for a GDL 88 is not what I would consider a good bang for the buck value, Josh.
    Sorry I did a bad job of referencing what I meant. Until very recently, there was no ADSB option for the GTX327. So the used market is flooded with them now as people were upgrading to the GTX330. I bought my GTX327 with a tray and encoder for $300. I know have an ADSB capable transponder for 300 bucks that I don’t have to spend thousands of dollars on until 2020 when hopefully the prices come down even further than they already have in that last 3 years. Even if they don’t come down, it’s no more than a Trig transponder.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

I have a trig transponder and Com radio. They are small and light and pretty easy to mount just about anywhere. The COM has a remote head and has a lot of functionality. There are also remote inputs so the radio can be controlled by switches in the yoke/handgrip.
    The transponder is controlled by my GRT Mini AP EFIS. The transponder has a GPS input for ADSB.
    Fit and finish is pretty good and the pricing is very reasonable. I beleive these units are also TSO'd
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

I have a Tt-31 mode S with 1090 out for ADSB.

So far no problems in two years of flying.

Rodney