Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: kitfox classic 4 speedster tail problem

Default Re: kitfox classic 4 speedster tail problem

If i weld new bushing ,i put more longer than what i need ,,after welding make all thread and after i can take mesurement to cut them more close a possible..

Thank's to all for your reply and mesurement ..i do the job when the montain of snow has melted...
    Beacause is very hard to walk in deep snow with heavy welding machine..

Quote Originally Posted by Jfquebec View Post
    If i weld new bushing ,i put more longer than what i need ,,after welding make all thread and after i can take mesurement to cut them more close a possible..
    Yes, you can cut them to length.

But think 1st about left and right. They have to be very close in line to be a good hinge.

Next think about up-down. Have to be in the exact spots as the rudder.

Next think about being perpendicular both left-right and up-down so length adjustments don't matter to alignment.

Think about a good stiff jig to make it right.

FWIW.
    Building a KF IV Classic

I agree with you napierm...that's very important...

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Hi,
    mrbill's idea sounds easiest and "aligned" . I like his idea of using a female threaded rod end bearing, and a piece of quality threaded rod to extend the short bushing. This might be helpful at the very least for setting up all the bearings into alignment.
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

JF, maybe you can just order a rod end that is an inch longer so it will reach all the way to the bushing?

Quote Originally Posted by Esser View Post
    JF, maybe you can just order a rod end that is an inch longer so it will reach all the way to the bushing?
    I dont think it is very safe with 1 1/4" of this small rod......
    Maybe with small bushing on thread between the bushing of tail post and head of rod end?...
    Last edited by Jfquebec; 04-24-2013 at 04:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jfquebec View Post
    I dont think it is very safe with 1 1/4" of this small rod......
    Maybe with small bushing on thread between the bushing of tail post and head of rod end?...
    Meh... You still have a weak link where the two bushings meet and this might actually be worse as it could concentrate the side load stress at that point with greater torque coming from the longer rod end.

What I was saying before is to use something threaded as a jig to extend the bushing and weld a sleeve around the junction of the new and old bushings. This would keep everything aligned perfectly. The sleeve would be welded to the tail post and bushing and could extend almost as long as the bushing and also be welded near the outer end. You can cut out part of the fiberglass for a small access area to where you need to weld and hysol it back later.

If you decide to drill out the old and completely install new bushings you should thread them first and install the rod ends. To keep everything in one axis run a 3/16" smooth rod the same length as the rudder through all three to keep them in axis and keep the distance needed from the tail post while you weld everything in place. I suppose you could just use your rudder to do the same thing and keep them all aligned.
    Last edited by Geowitz; 04-24-2013 at 05:33 AM.

JF I like GeoWitz idea too. I drew a picture and I think this is what he means.

The red is the existing bushing.
    Green is your rod end.
    Purple is a reenforcing bushing.
    Brown is a non threaded bushing that slips tightly over the existing bushing and the reenforcing bushing.
    Blue is where you would weld.

If I were to do this myself, I would first put the brown bushing over the red bushing, and then I would hammer in my reenforcing purple bushing. But my purple bushing would not be threaded.

I would then weld the oversized brown bushing to the red and purple bushing. After that, I would tap threads into my purple bushing by going through the back side of your existing red bushing that way you chase the existing threads perfectly. Once the threads are all perfect I would then insert my rod end.

Esser - Beautiful! Exactly what I was thinking.

I guess in a perfect world if you really had the time and drive you would preferably drill out and weld in new bushings. However, my concern with that is keeping everything perfectly lined up. Perhaps if you drilled everything out perfectly and kept your drill perfectly centered the new bushings would slide in without slop and self align.