Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Cost of Five-Year Rubber Replacement

Default Re: Cost of Five-Year Rubber Replacement

I bought most of my hoses from Lockwood aviation. I had a few fuel lines that were marked with the Logo from a local auto parts, and some with Gates so I replaced them with the same shoes. One thing I will say is Rotax can not mandate regulations on how to maintain the aircraft. The FAA regulations are the driving regulations. According to most A&Ps, the regulations recommend inspection of the rubber hoses and it's up to the A&P if the hoses need to be replaced. In the LSRM training, I was told that I must follow the recommendation of the Manufacturer in the Aircraft maintenance manual, and Rainbow Aviation told us that we must follow the recommendation of the engine manufacturers.
    Having worked with my father in the industrial rubber products business selling Raybestos hydraulic hose, Dayton hydraulic hose, I more than one replaced brittle hydraulic hose on Southern Pacific rail cars. For me it's not about the money, it's about safety. Luckily, I have no issues with not having the money available, and for $200 to $300, I don't have an issue with replacing, it's cheaper than having a fuel line break or an oil line brake in flight. I must admit some of the hoses specified an supplied by Lockwood are some of the cheapest crap hose you can buy, especially the water hoses. I personally would prefer to be able to buy a good quality radiator hoses.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Spent a career at Southern Pacific engineering dept. until UP bought us. Small world.

Pete
    Pete
    Leander, TX
    Model III SN 1000
    Grove

I really enjoyed this thread when I first went through & read it a couple of years ago... good stuff. I'd like to add my experience with oil lines - a topic brought up by Pete in another thread. On my Thorp T-18 I used Aeroquip S.S. jacketed hose with a synthetic AQP monomer inner tube for my oil lines. My experience with this material has been very positive. Two of my oil lines run from a cooler in front, directly over & very close to the air-cooled cylinders. They get pretty hot when the engine is shut down. Those hoses had been on the airplane for almost 20 years at that time, about 7 years ago. When I removed and replaced them they were soft & supple like new, with absolutely no signs of deterioration.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

The man ihanger with has a Glass Air, I wouldn't fly in it. All of his hoses are as hard as rocks. I would recommended him to replace ASAP luckily he does not fly it often.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by jrevens View Post
    I really enjoyed this thread when I first went through & read it a couple of years ago... good stuff. I'd like to add my experience with oil lines - a topic brought up by Pete in another thread. On my Thorp T-18 I used Aeroquip S.S. jacketed hose with a synthetic AQP monomer inner tube for my oil lines. My experience with this material has been very positive. Two of my oil lines run from a cooler in front, directly over & very close to the air-cooled cylinders. They get pretty hot when the engine is shut down. Those hoses had been on the airplane for almost 20 years at that time, about 7 years ago. When I removed and replaced them they were soft & supple like new, with absolutely no signs of deterioration.
    Thank you John. I actually have some of that on the line that goes into the oil tank. Seems like I got it in a hotrod shop when I lived in El Paso.
    Pete
    Leander, TX
    Model III SN 1000
    Grove

I have a 582 and bought several gaskets and rubber items from these folks with no hassle and great prices:

http://jbmindustries.com/index.html