Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Precautions when spraying Poly fiber products??

Default Precautions when spraying Poly fiber products??

What precautions did you use when spraying the poly fiber products? Did you use just a good respirator, or a supplied fresh air hood etc?? I plan on painting in an enclosed area (home made paint booth) with fans for airflow. I've heard that a good respirator is adequate, is this true? I'll probably be using poly tone as my topcoat. Looking for what you suggestions.
    Thanks
    Brian

Default Re: Precautions when spraying Poly fiber products??

If you have good air flow a good charcoal respirator is all you should need. Keep your skin covered too. The stuff does stink.

I used a fresh charcoal element respirator, long sleeves and rubber gloves. That's all.

I probably could have gotten away with the "liquid glove" product for painting. I used it for the covering/gluing process.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I probably could have gotten away with the "liquid glove" product for painting. I used it for the covering/gluing process.[/quote]

Liquid Glove?

Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I just finished with Primer an hour ago. Just used eye protection and carbon filters on a 3M mask. worked great in my home made booth. I didn't use ventilation fans and let me tell you, it gets pretty dang concentrated in the air. I read the Poly Fiber manual and the reducer 65/85 vapors used for the color coats are harmful to eyes. Did anyone use just eye protection and not true goggles. I think I will buy goggles.. especially since I don't have ventilation.
    Eddie

I'd highly suggest rigging up some sort of fan to move the fumes out.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I hear ya Larry. The manual suggested that I didn't have to and I could just allow the air to settle out. Once the primer set up after 15 min I opened the "fly" and ventilated it out before the next coat. I was concerned about the fire risk blowing fumes across a fan. I used a fan before by pressurizing the booth and a filter on the output side but then someone here said it is better to pull the air out so you get a good downward flow. That means fumes across the fan. Where do find a fan with a sealed motor? I don't like the idea of the 65/85 reducer. Sounds like bad stuff it can affect you through your eyes.
    Eddie

Gentleman,

With due respect fellows.

If you can smell it you are breathing it! I have been spraying lacquer and paint for over 40 years, you need total protection to save your lungs, liver and your well being. Buy a fresh air system and ventilation is a must with all paints. You spent how much for your plane project, you want to be around to fly your project for a long time, spend a little on yourself, a fresh air system will not break the bank. You can find used ones and you can sell it after you are finished painting.
    I know this sounds like a strong statement, it is.

I cant smell it with the 3M mask. A fresh air system is overkill IMHO. It is always good to be safe I agree. I should be protecting my eyes I suppose.
    Eddie