Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Greetings All

Default Re: Greetings All

Welcome JetPilot,

You've come to the right place. A Kitfox makes for a great float plane. The model you choose is going to be dependent on your budget, as well as the physical size of the people wanting to fly in it.

I have a Model 4-1200 Kitfox on Aerocet 1100 amphib floats with a Rotax 912ul (80 hp) that I absolutely love. I use an IVO inflight adjustable propeller that helps me to get on the step quicker, but even with only 80 hp and a fixed pitch prop it would be a good floatplane. If you could use straight floats rather than the amphibs the performance would be considerably better as the weight would be down probably another 50-80 lbs. If you were to upgrade to a Rotax 912 of 100 hp or more (like a 108 or 114 hp zipper kit or a 100 hp 912uls) your Supercub floatplane pals will learn to hate you as you will greatly outperform them, on about 1/2 the fuel, and probably 1/3 the acquisition cost.

A newer model 5-7 Kitfox also will make for a great floatplane. It's larger cabin and baggage area is nice, as is the higher gross weight when you want to haul more. But acquisition price will likely be higher than for a typical Model 4. And so will float cost, as you will need a much larger float. So you really need to decide what is most important for your needs.

Generally the Model 4 makes for a sportier, almost hotrod-like floatplane, but the newer Kitfox as a floatplane is no slouch. It would still be a better performer than most other floatplanes. Comparing the newer Kitfox to the older Model 4? I would say a newer model Kitfox with a 100 hp or more 912 would be pretty comparable performance wise with the 80 hp 912 Model 4. But because the Model 4 can be as much as 200 lbs lighter than the newer models, the wing loading is much lighter and the horsepower per pound is pretty hard to beat. So that's why it's the hotrod of the models. The downside of the Model 4 would be a slightly smaller cabin size and lower weight carrying capacity. But I've never had an issue with either of those things with my Model 4. It handles all of that well as long as you're not hauling around huge people with a lot of gear.

Hopefully that will give you enough to think about for a while. If you want to know more about a Kitfox 4 floatplane, search for my Kitfox of the month write up done a few years ago here on the forum. Or check out some of "the sunnair" youtube videos out there like this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzrVBVwqbHU

Oh, and maybe you want to buy the floats first? There is a fantastic deal on a brand new set of Aerocet 1100 amphibs for only $7900 on Barnstormers right now. And they even come with Kitfox 4 rigging Deals like that are never out there when you need them...

Paul Seehafer

You have been given some great advice and guidance on what to read for further information.
    I'm going to just reiterate on the fact that was mentioned about jumping on a plane quickly. If it is a fair price it will not be for sale very long. A decent Kitfox gets sold quickly if the price is right.

I do suspect a Kitfox would be great on floats. Would expect performance even better than a Cub. The floats mentioned by Paul (av8rps) would be a steal at that price for amphibs. Half the cost of a kit which I had a thousand hours in construction. My experience with amphibs revealed they were very expensive for maintenance...I was warned but as usual went ahead anyway. The wheel bearings... Replaced twice the first year and annually after I started using HF grease I got from Wipaire in St Paul. Of course I was on the water constantly. Straight floats would be way less mtce. If you have never flown in and out of lakes your in for one of flyings greatest experiences. In over 55 years of flying single engine small planes my few years on floats were the best.
    Bud
    IV Speedster
    912 UL
    IVO ground adjustable

Thumbs up Re: Greetings All

TheSunnAir videos are awesome! Kitfox floatplane flying in spectacular Norway fjords with some truly incredible topography and scenery, lots of glassy water splash n' go's to get your juices flowing. Thanks Paul, just the mental pick-me-up I needed looking out the window this morning at our first snowfall!
    -Aeropro CZ Aerotrek A240 Tri-Gear SLSA 912uls
    -Airdale Avid+ on CZAW Amphibs 'FatAvid Floater' (building)
    -Kitfox 4-1200 TD 912ul (sold)
    -Kitfox Model III TD 582 (R.I.P.)
    -Avid Flyer Mk-IV TD (sold)

Glad you enjoyed it Doug. I have ice on the lake now, so I too spend time occasionally watching youtube water flying videos to keep myself energized.

Hey, while I have you here, did you see these float install pics of a Eurofox /Aerotrek on a set of CZ floats? If not I thought you might appreciate them. Hopefully this will give you even more of a mental pick up

And if that's not enough, there are more pics here: http://www.floats.cz/jAlbum/Aerotrek...bum/index.html#

(to everyone that doesn't get why I'm showing a Eurofox on floats here on the Kitfox forum, Doug has one he plans to put on floats...)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Man, those floats are as big as the airframe. Bet they cost as much as well.
    Eddie

Actually those floats (Czech) are cheaper than the Zenair (US) floats they copied, I believe.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

well, they look sweet I must say.

Those floats would be a GREAT combination with that airplane, or a Model 4 Kitfox. In my opinion they are one of the best floats built for aircraft in the LSA class.

av8rps - thanks for the info.

The more I learn here about the kitfox the more educated purchase I will be able to make. The big thing will be cost and will I really be able to get the aircraft I want on my budget. I have only been looking for a short time and my expectations of what I will be able to afford are slowly coming into view. Reality is setting in... UGH 😑

There is a really nice looking Kitfox IV 1050 on Barnstormers with a ROTAX 582, rebuilt engine by "LEAF". I am wondering if this would be a good place to start. Put it on straight floats and an upgrade to a 912 in a couple of years?

Any thoughts?

Jay