Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: operating cost per hour?

Default operating cost per hour?

apologies if this thread has happned in the past (having trouble searching back). What are some common operating costs for the KitFox you own? I;d like to get one that is maxed out for range/speed, or one like Kyle Franklin flew at OshKosh, same options? would love to do more performance stuff down the road..

my mission profile is i'd be living in Southern Brazil and would need to get to points in Uruguay, NE Argentina.. 500miles or so is the longest id have to go one way. Most of the stuff is more like 400mi round trip. Not for STOL or anything, just need to get to remote loactions with grass strips etc. etc. It's all grassland, "Las Pampas" , home of the gaucho

I'd be looking at building some sort of Kit plane (love the kitfox of course) in the next couple years, thank you!
    Last edited by bubbrubb21; 11-14-2017 at 08:47 PM.

Default Re: operating cost per hour?

I think the new Speedster model would be a good choice for type of flying you mentioned. The Speedster specs show a cruise speed of 130 mph with 5 hours of endurance and 27 gallons useable fuel (range = 650 miles). It looks like that would be about 5 GPH. I believe some of the people using the Rotax 912iS engine are claiming fuel burns of 3.5 to 4.0 GPH, which would give you over 6 hours endurance plus a 30 minute reserve (range = 780 miles).

Here is the link to the specs for the Speedster:
    http://www.kitfoxaircraft.com/index....-specification

As far as operating costs:
    Insurance: $1000 to 1500/yr is typical
    Hanger: Variable
    Maintenance: Zero cost. You can legally do any maintenance in the USA on an EAB aircraft. Not sure about Brazil.
    Condition inspections: In the US if you are the builder you are allowed to inspect it too. Zero cost other than the parts and tools. Not sure if regulations in Brazil allow you to inspect it.
    Fuel: 3.5 to 6 GPH (depending on the engine type) multiplied by the cost of fuel.
    Oil and normal parts: Relatively inexpensive as long as nothing major breaks.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

thanks Phil. Didn't know the maintenance side of things would be 0

Oil and normal parts are quite inexpensive as Phil says:
    Oil (Aeroshell Sport plus 4) and Rotax filter about $50 every 50 hours.
    Spark plug change about $25 every 200 hours.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I just returned from a trip to the HSF of over 10 hours while burning 3.4gph I fly a 7SS with fuel injected 912. My average cruise speed was 108 mph at 60% power setting. Doing the math you would have 7.94 hours of flight time and 857 mile range. The SS7 has two 13 gallon tanks and a 1 gallon header for a total of 27 gallons. My plane has the standard SS7 wings and 26" ABW Airstreaks. I have flown my plane 7 hours multiple times between fuel stops.

At 80% power I burn under 4 gph flying 125 mph. This power settings gives 6.75 hours and 843 range for 27 gallons. Obviously no 30 minute reserve in the calcs. It's easy math to figure that out.

The cost of fuel per hour is $4/gal for Mogas around here. That is between $13.60/hour and $16/hour of pure fun.

Scott
    Scott Noble
    Kitfox SS7

What I mean about zero cost for maintenance is that you would be able to do all of the work yourself. You won't have to pay an A&P or shop rates for repairs and the annual inspection.

Thanks Scott for giving some real numbers to what I wrote before.

With my IO-240 I burn 5.2 GPH at 60% power (LOP) cruising at about 108 mph TAS. That would take me almost 500 miles with a 30 minute reserve. I actually average 6 GPH, with mogas it's a whopping $20/hr.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

awesome, those were all numbers i was hoping to hear, thank u!

AirFox - what is HSF?

HSF is the High Sierra Fly In. More info at Stoldrag.com
    HSF 3.jpg
    Scott Noble
    Kitfox SS7

This is a close estimate of my operating costs. Mx items include replacing the Rotax rubber parts after 5 years, a new ELT as old one was AD'd illegal, etc. Hope this helps.

Fuel $ / gal 3.00
    Hrs flown / yr 55

Fuel $/ hr 15.0
    -- oil & fltr 1.22
    -- plugs 0.32
    Mx items 24.59 ( 2013 - 2017 avg)
    Eng reserve 11.11
    Prop reserve 1.50
    Ins 9.09

$ / HR 62.83

$ / YR 3,456

Quote Originally Posted by PapuaPilot View Post
    What I mean about zero cost for maintenance is that you would be able to do all of the work yourself. You won't have to pay an A&P or shop rates for repairs and the annual inspection.

Thanks Scott for giving some real numbers to what I wrote before.

With my IO-240 I burn 5.2 GPH at 60% power (LOP) cruising at about 108 mph TAS. That would take me almost 500 miles with a 30 minute reserve. I actually average 6 GPH, with mogas it's a whopping $20/hr.
    Mogas with a IO-240? Didn't know you could run mogas with the higher compression Continentals.
    Brad Smith
    KF Vixen IO-240
    Flying when I have gas money