Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Where and how to mount ELT & Data plate

Default Where and how to mount ELT & Data plate

Need to install an ELT and want to keep it from making too much difference in aft CG. Where did you mount yours?

FAR 91.207(a)(2) says... an approved personal type elt or approved automatic type elt must be installed. What is an example of an "approved personal ELT"? Could this be something like a SPOT or ACR Rescue link?

Need to permanently install external data tag. Where and how did you mount yours? Did you drill holes in a longeron or just rivet to fabric with internal backing?

Thanks!
    Jon
    Kitfox IV 1050, C180. Now I have two backcountry planes! WooHoo!

Default Re: Where and how to mount ELT & Data plate

Mounted my ELT behind the seats in the space between the baggage compartment and the fuselage side.

Mounted my data plate under the forward part of the horizontal stab on left hand side. Glued (use Hysol or something but not Polytak or it will bubble up your finish paint) a thin aluminum backing plate on the inside of the fabric, then riveted the data plate on the outside.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Default Re: Where and how to mount ELT & Data plate

I put elt in the same spot as Jim.
    I put the data plate under the horizontal stab on LH side also; used 2 adel clamps on inside of fabric and bolted plate.