Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kitfox IV utility

Default Kitfox IV utility

I have a Piper Pacer that I am considering selling and buying a Kitfox IV. I don't really need the 4 seat capacity but like the decent cruise performance, luggage capacity and ability to handle turbulence and crosswind easily. However, I am attracted to having a noncertified plane that I don't have to worry about STCs for mods and cheaper parts.
    What are the limitations for the KF in crosswind? How does it handle it turbulence? How are long cross-country flights in the plane? Has anyone used them for light, occasional IFR?

Default Re: Kitfox IV utility

Eddie, the model 4 with a Rotax 4 stroke will give you a cruise speed from 105 mph to 120 mph. Depends on 80 hp. or 100 hp and lift strut fairings or not. Also prop choice will affect this number. My model 4 with 100 hp and Ivo prop and lift strut fairings installed will cruise 115 to 120 mph easily and higher if you want to push more fuel.

Crosswind landings, I believe the book shows 12-15 knots or so. I've got the tri-gear so can do a little better. Have done better many times. The four has plenty of rudder and great roll authority even below the stall speed.

Cross country flights have ranged from Phoenix to Idaho many times. Several times to California. Minnesota has been done in one day several times from Phoenix also. Baggage capacity on my model 4 is at 125 lbs for C.G. purposes but I usually limit to 60 lbs. for turbulence induced loading. Tested to 215 lbs. static so good safety margin strength wise on mine. Not sure what others test to.

Never flown it IFR but a few others have. Mine is not equipped for it nor am I rated for IFR flight

I too left the certified aircraft world behind and never looked back.
    No 337 forms to fill out , you can do your own conditional inspections and sign them off if you built the plane and hold a repairman's certificate. Can do all your own upkeep ect.
    Lots of model 4 owners on the forums and they will share their numbers and thoughts too as they see your post. Welcome aboard. Hope when you move over to the experimental side of the game you will enjoy it as much as I have.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

My experience has been with the model SS7, but when I was taking my flight training in Boise with Stick & Rudder I witnessed Paul Leadabrand land the Kitfox in about a 30 mph xwind as a demonstration of the airplanes capability. It has enough rudder authority to do this (much more so than a Piper SuperCub according to Paul) if the pilot is capable. It is a light plane so it does get thrown around in turbulence and gusty xwinds, but the rudder and aileron response is superb if the pilot knows what he is doing.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

ha, ok. jiott. well lets see here. I land my fox at about 35sh. so if I had a cross wind of 30, that means I have a 5mph forward. simple, I land cross runway. and I have done it.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Welcome aboard Eddie from Loma Linda, not to be confused with Eddie from Yorba Linda. (thats me).
    If your in the OC feel free to stop by and check out my SS fixing to get covered.
    Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox View Post
    ha, ok. jiott. well lets see here. I land my fox at about 35sh. so if I had a cross wind of 30, that means I have a 5mph forward. simple, I land cross runway. and I have done it.
    This brought a smile to my face. Several years ago a flight of 6 (1 Rans S-6 that needed the fuel and five Model IVs) returning from the annual Idaho Back Country week needed a fuel stop and a nights rest. Our closest airport was Jackpot, Nevada. Winds were from the west and favored Runway 33. As we approached (as a flight of 6) it became apparent that the winds were fairly strong at about 90 degrees. Our flight leader estimated 8 kts. The estimate was for me an airplane saver :-) I had handled 8 often enough to not be that tight on final. Once on the ground, though, it was apparent that 8 was way low. After taxiing to the pumps it was impossible for the non parking brake guys (me included) to exit their airplanes without wheel chocks. The wind speed was determined to be over 20 kts. once on the ground. Who knows what would have happened if I had known what was really happening. The talk while we fueled was that if we had actually known, we would have landed on the taxiway leading to the pumps - short but doable in that wind. As previously mentioned, the airplanes can handle a lot. At the time, I guess I had about 600 hours in the IV. Would I do it again? Not on purpose.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by DesertFox4 View Post
    Eddie, the model 4 with a Rotax 4 stroke will give you a cruise speed from 105 mph to 120 mph. Depends on 80 hp. or 100 hp and lift strut fairings or not. Also prop choice will affect this number. My model 4 with 100 hp and Ivo prop and lift strut fairings installed will cruise 115 to 120 mph easily and higher if you want to push more fuel.

Crosswind landings, I believe the book shows 12-15 knots or so. I've got the tri-gear so can do a little better. Have done better many times. The four has plenty of rudder and great roll authority even below the stall speed.

Cross country flights have ranged from Phoenix to Idaho many times. Several times to California. Minnesota has been done in one day several times from Phoenix also. Baggage capacity on my model 4 is at 125 lbs for C.G. purposes but I usually limit to 60 lbs. for turbulence induced loading. Tested to 215 lbs. static so good safety margin strength wise on mine. Not sure what others test to.

Never flown it IFR but a few others have. Mine is not equipped for it nor am I rated for IFR flight

I too left the certified aircraft world behind and never looked back.
    No 337 forms to fill out , you can do your own conditional inspections and sign them off if you built the plane and hold a repairman's certificate. Can do all your own upkeep ect.
    Lots of model 4 owners on the forums and they will share their numbers and thoughts too as they see your post. Welcome aboard. Hope when you move over to the experimental side of the game you will enjoy it as much as I have.
    That is every useful information. That's decent weight allowance which should be enough for light weight camping. I've heard mixed things about them from the other pilots on the field with some loving them and other saying them are terrible in turbulence. I was talking to one IA who has worked on a few and he was saying he really likes a model IV with a O-200 modified to put out 115-120hp which really turns it into a rocket ship.

You in the Phoenix area? I'm in SoCal which is a short hop. It'd be awesome to fly some before jumping in. I'd be happy to buy some gas and lunch sometime!

Quote Originally Posted by Etp View Post
    It'd be awesome to fly some before jumping in. I'd be happy to buy some gas and lunch sometime!
    Carefull Most people that ride with Steve end up with a Fox. I did.

C-INJV.jpg

I did love the ride with Steve. His plane has amazing performance.
    Good luck with your Fox experience.
    Norm
    Airdrie Ab, Can
    North of Calgary
    Flying SuperFox Model IV

Eddie, all my spare time is dedicated to building my new model 7 Super Sport so odds of any trip for any reason is slim until it is finished. Sorry. I love taking folks on Kitfox flights. If Phoenix is in your immediate destinations future, please let me know and I will make it happen.

Heed Norm's warning Eddie. One flight usually does it.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Quote Originally Posted by HighWing View Post
    This brought a smile to my face. Several years ago a flight of 6 (1 Rans S-6 that needed the fuel and five Model IVs) returning from the annual Idaho Back Country week needed a fuel stop and a nights rest. Our closest airport was Jackpot, Nevada. Winds were from the west and favored Runway 33. As we approached (as a flight of 6) it became apparent that the winds were fairly strong at about 90 degrees. Our flight leader estimated 8 kts. The estimate was for me an airplane saver :-) I had handled 8 often enough to not be that tight on final. Once on the ground, though, it was apparent that 8 was way low. After taxiing to the pumps it was impossible for the non parking brake guys (me included) to exit their airplanes without wheel chocks. The wind speed was determined to be over 20 kts. once on the ground. Who knows what would have happened if I had known what was really happening. The talk while we fueled was that if we had actually known, we would have landed on the taxiway leading to the pumps - short but doable in that wind. As previously mentioned, the airplanes can handle a lot. At the time, I guess I had about 600 hours in the IV. Would I do it again? Not on purpose.

Those are pretty impressive crosswind landing numbers. I'm sure the Kitfox will keep you on your toes. With the Pacer I've landed with winds gusting to 30k at 90 degree crosswind. Ran put of aileron quickly but never came closer to running out of rudder.