Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Working on experimental planes

Default Working on experimental planes

What am I allowed to do to my kitfox 4 I am not the builder

Default Re: Working on experimental planes

Terry,

Anyone can perform any and all work on an experimental, whether you were the builder or not; however, you will not be able to do the condition inspection.

Normally a builder will get a repairman's certificate which is good only for the plane the builder did and that will permit a builder can do the condition inspection. A non builder would not be eligible for a repairman's certificate for an experimental aircraft.

For a non builder, the condition inspection would need to be performed by a certificated mechanic.

Sincerely,

Dave S
    KF 7 Trigear
    912ULS Warp Drive

I concur with Dave and to clarify a bit. An A and P license is required to sign off the condition inspection. Not an IA.
    Maxwell Duke

Kitfox S6 IO-240 Built it (Flying since 2003)
    Maule M7-235C Sold it (liked it though)
    RV-10 IO-540 Bought it
    Zenith CH-750 Built with 7 friends (DAR Vic Syracuse)

Or you can take the repairman course (2-3 day class) and do your own condition inspections. just my .02

The 16 hour repairmans class only allows you to conduct a condition inspection on an E-LSA which you own.

It does nothing for an Experimental Amature Built certificated airplane owner.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Quote Originally Posted by N981MS View Post
    I concur with Dave and to clarify a bit. An A and P license is required to sign off the condition inspection. Not an IA.
    I think the key word above is sign off. I know several seccond owners who have developed trusted relationships with an A&P that works this way. The owner opens up the airplane does the inspection according to a specified check list, then when that is complete, Tha A&P comes over and goes over the checklist and makes spot checks of some areas and then signs off the inspection. Check the wordIng specified on the airworthiness certificate. Mine says, "I certify that this aircraft has been inspected (date) in accordance with the provisions of Title 14 CFR Part 43 appendix D and found to be in a condition for safe operation. (Signature) Nowhere does it specify who does the inspection.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r3400 View Post
    The 16 hour repairmans class only allows you to conduct a condition inspection on an E-LSA which you own.

It does nothing for an Experimental Amature Built certificated airplane owner.
    The IV, is probably registered as an Experimental Amature Built, not as an
    E-LSA. As far as working on an Experimental, anyone can work on an Experimental Amature Built, but an A&P to do the Annual Inspections.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas