Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Float performance on SS7

Default Float performance on SS7

Thinking of building an SS7, which would be float-capable. I'm looking for real-world feedback on the performance of Kitfoxes on floats, compared to some other airplanes (like a cub, for example). I know it is difficult to compare across airframes and powerplants and various configurations, but I'm interested in the experience out there and what folks have to say. Also, any comments on the differences in build experience (time, difficulty, etc.) for a plane with floats vs. without. Buy floats vs. build floats? I have looked through the archives somewhat but haven't found all that I'm looking for.

Thanks,
    Greg

P.S. I have already built an RV9, so not a total newbie to building.

Default Re: Float performance on SS7

Where's Paul (Av8rPS) when we need him? He will have all the answers, being our resident Kitfox float expert.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Greg,

A Kitfox Super Sport will make a great float plane. It's ability to carry more than its own empty weight (if flown experimental at 1550 lbs) is a huge advantage with any aircraft when you start hanging a set of floats under it, especially if they are amphibs. But in addition to the great load carrying ability, the Kitfox design is like it was made for float flying. The wing lifts very well at slow speeds, but yet will fly fast when you want to get somewhere. That is not a common trait in floatplanes, unless of course you have a 300+ hp engine, a constant speed prop, and you have 200+ grand laying around to buy one of the known "premium" floatplanes.

Another really nice feature of the Kitfox for float flying is having a fold up door on each side. That feature is super handy on a floatplane for docking, as you can then do so from either side (Cubs nor Husky's have that feature). Add to the above the super nimble handling qualities of the Kitfox, and you have a floatplane that will be way more capable than pretty much any other airplane in its horsepower class. And actually if the Kitfox is flying as a 100 hp amphib, I'm not sure there is anything in its class? I can't think of anything in traditional seaplanes that flies on amphib floats on only 100 hp.

I fly a Kitfox IV with a Rotax 912ul 80 hp engine (you can read about my airplane in detail if you go back to the "Kitfox of the Month" section of this forum - lots of info as well as pictures of it there. I also go into detail of the amazing performance I get with it on just a 80 hp engine. Here is the direct link;http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=931 ). And while a Model IV is not a 7SS, they do share the same basic configuration, and the exact same wing. And based on over 400 hours in my IV amphib, it is a phenomenal amphib floatplane. So I'm confident the 7SS will be too.

To compare a SS on floats to something like a Cub is hard to do. You'd probably have to compare it to a SuperCub to get a more realistic comparison. And to be fair, if the Kitfox 7 SS is an amphib, then you should compare it to a Supercub on amphibs. I believe if you do that you will find the Kitfox quite comparable to the SuperCub for performance. In fact, I believe the Kitfox would do much better than the SuperCub, but that would depend a lot on how the Kitfox was equipped, and what its empty weight would be.

So how would I put a Kitfox 7SS together to make it the best possible for float flying? 1st I would do all I could to keep the SS as light as possible, while still providing myself with reasonable luxuries. 2nd, I'd make sure to use a Rotax 912s engine. It is proven again and again as the best choice for a powerplant in the smaller amphibs. It makes gobs of power, but weighs very little compared to other choices. So I personally wouldn't deviate from using a 912, as we know for certain that engine works for float flying. And using the 912 would pretty much guarantee you to have a reasonably light Kitfox.

Then I'd make sure to get a decent set of floats. Inexpensive floats are typically inexpensive for a reason. The Zenair floats are probably the least expensive option that perform well. The Aerocet's and Clamar's are at the upper end of the price range, and they will perform the best. But you will spend 30-50k for a set of amphibs from those companies. So unless you have a lot of extra cash for a set of Aerocets or Clamars, I 'd stick with something we know works, being the Zenairs.

So build them or buy them? If you like sheet metal work after building an RV, you may actually enjoy putting a set of those floats together. But most say it is nearly as much work as it was building their airplane. So building floats isn't for everybody. It is however a great way to save some money while getting to know your floats inside and out (literally).

In summary, as long as you don't need more than 2 seats I don't think you could find a better floatplane than a Kitfox Super Sport.

Greg, there you have it. Our resident expert on floats and Kitfoxs on floats has spoken. Many of us after flying the SS7 on wheels probably know how great a float plane it would make. I for one would love to find out personally. Maybe in the future.

And thank you Paul for your response. We appreciate your expertise and the time you take to share it with those interested in float flying. We need more Kitfoxs on floats.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Thanks very much for the information. I appreciate your insights.

Greg

You're more than welcome. Glad I'm able to help.

And YES, we need more Kitfoxes on floats!

Paul seehafer