Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Octane Boosters

Default Octane Boosters

In my area we have good availability of ethanol-free gasoline. The few stations that have premium (93 octane) are disappearing. There seems to be a trend to carry only mid-grade (90 octane). The Rotax manual for the 912 ULS states that minimum of 91 octane fuel should be used. There are octane boosters, from auto parts stores, that can be added to the fuel to raise the octane by as much as 3 numbers. Anyone have any comments, knowledge, or info on this topic? Thanks Gary

Default Re: Octane Boosters

I tested some non oxygenated premium fuel with some justice brothers octane buster in it in a tall skinny plastic bottle that I used for checking for alcohol in the fuel. I put some fairly new cut off pieces of fiberglass in the bottle also as I wanted to see if the fuel would hurt the fiberglass. Didn't seem to hurt the fiberglass at all, but it melted the plastic bottle so it started leaking. I had used it lots of times with regular non ox. fuel many times before and it never hurt the bottle then. Never used that stuff again. Jim Chuk

Personally, I'd be very, very leery of using automotive octane boosters.

Why not just mix in a couple gallons per tank of 100LL?
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I mix 100 LL with with 88 MoGas and have had no problems.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Thanks for your input. I like the idea of mixing 100LL to the mogas. Simple and compatible. Gary

We have been using HiTest octane Booster for 3 years now with no problems. We get it at our Do it best hardware store. Thought about mixing but didn't want the lead. On long trips we have use 100ll adding Decalin
    Dj Series 6

I wouldn't touch that stuff with a ten foot poleā€¦ MSDS

It is Toluene and Alcohol. Probably okay with the newer tanks, but it will destroy the old ones.

IMO - Much safer with a splash of 100LL to bring the mo-gas octane up a point or two. That small amount of lead won't be a factor in the motor.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

AV8r3400,
    As a point of reference, how much 100 LL do you add to non-ethanal, say 88 octane mogas?
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

I'm very lucky in that I can still get un contaminated fuel here in Wisconsin.

From my point of view, I'd say if you were trying to get 88 to 91 by adding 100, I'd estimate at least a 2/3 to 1/3 mix of mo to avgas. Maybe a 50:50 mix just to be safe?

As the previous poster was asking, from 90 to 91, I'd say a couple gallons to each tank would more than suffice.

(Just using simple weighted average computation)
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I believe it would be a simple average calculation. I am not a Chemical Engineer, but it sound logical. According to my calculation if you have a 13 Gallon wing tank. It should take approximately 3.5 Gallons per 13 Gallons to result in 91.23 Octaine. Ahh, I just posted and I see AV8R3400 came up with the Average as well. I was surprised it would only take 3 Gallons to get you that close to 91 Octaine.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Paul Z; 09-05-2014 at 06:39 AM.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas