Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Prop adjustment angle

Default Prop adjustment angle

Have my model 7 just flying and find my RPM is a bit much. Have the 912ULS with 3 blade Whirlwind prop. The info with prop suggests starting at 17deg. but think this is way too flat.
    Anyone else with this prop and what is working for them before I go on a fishing trip with this. Jeff in N. Idaho

Default Re: Prop adjustment angle

I have the same setup on my SS7. Had the same result as you at first. Measure in 12 inches from the tip, place a piece of tape at that point on each blade and recheck you blade angle there. Being off a small amount will make a difference. After rechecking mine and getting things reset my takeoff RPM is 5600 at full throttle.

Dick B

I also have the 3-blade Whirlwind GA prop and I set it at the factory recommended angle of 71.5 degrees measured as follows:
    • airplane in flight level attitide.
    • 12" in from blade tip
    • with one blade horizontal (level on trailing edge)
    • place digital level on backside of the blade at the 12" mark
    • hold tight against the backside, especially at trailing edge
    • adjust until you read 71.5 degrees
    • repeat on other two blades
    This setting is a good starting point and should give you 5100-5200 rpm static at WOT. This is a compromise between climb and cruise, and I found it to be more toward a cruise setting.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Are you guys using the WW supplied wooden tool with a digital level?
    I also have a 3 blade WW and I found the factory reccommended setting to be less than ideal also.

Am using the tool (jig) that came with the prop from Whirlwind and it seems to be a good method. As mentioned, I went from the 17deg to 22deg and now getting 5100 static. Weather permitting may fly tonight and see what it does in cruise.
    Is there a source for the Nord-Lock washers (prop attach) other than Whirlwind? North Idaho

In my sequence of steps below, I am NOT using the Whirlwind supplied wooden tool; just holding the level against the blade.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS