Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Kitfox 2 newbie

Default Kitfox 2 newbie

In the process of buying a KF 2. I have a tailwheel rating and am current in a J3 Cub. Question: What will I notice that's diff and what are the main challenges making the transition? I will of course be flying with an instructor current in in the KF until I'm ready. Thanks for any feedback given and Happy Easter!

Default Re: Kitfox 2 newbie

I too have a model 2, am new to it. You're wise to get specific instruction. Right before I got the 'Fox, I flew a J3, my first taildragger time in 25 years, and it was like putting on a pair of old comfy shoes. The 'Fox was not the same. It's more short coupled and took some getting used to with a good instructor. Don't take that as criticism of the bird - when you make minimum mass and best performance on low HP something has to give. I think the 'Fox is pleasant to fly and I'm not a person with ballerina coordination (my sister the retired ballerina has those genes! Ha ha.). Just keep at it until you get it and feel comfy. If it takes you a bit more or less time than others don't let it bother you - what matters is the goal and getting to where you are comfy and safe - not how quickly you can get out on your own. Don't expect to haul a lot of weight, but keep the intended mission in mind. Have fun!

Thanks for the info. I have 300 hours in the J3 that I owned up until 2 years ago. The last two years I owned it I accumulated those hours and really did learn a lot about flying it correctly. The shorter coupled KF is something that I will NOT take for granted. Mine has the bungee gear "thank God" . The J3 was all original w 65 cont. It didn't jump off the ground ,especially with a passenger. Climb rates forced me to respect it and think way ahead about obstacles. I realize the KF has better performance because of the weight which is about HALF that of my J3. With that said, I will of course just as the J3 has taught me proceed with caution. The BIG deal to me with the KF is the folding wings and the trailer. No more hanger dependence at the airport at least! I've got lots of questions but will get on the search before I blab them here. I'm finishing my LSRM rating and a Light Sport instructor rating next month. Thanks again Loving this site!

First piece of advise I would give is to remove the swivel cam from the Maul tailwheel, making it unable to go full swivel. This will save you at least one ground loop. Guaranteed.

A Kitfox is NOT a Cub. I think you already know this, but it stands to be said again. I always say that a Kitfox (or Avid) is very quick on the controls. It will do exactly what you tell it to do, very quickly. If you tell it to do something stupid, it will gladly comply, very quickly. The good news is it will recover, just as quickly, if you know how to tell it to.

Get the book-- "Kitfox Pilots Guide" from the McBeans. It is a good read and should be required reading for anyone considering a Kitfox.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos