Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wing locker -auxilary fuel

Default Wing locker -auxilary fuel

Hey everyone,

Is it possible to use the wing locker for an auxilary fuel tank? Could a guy get a small 5 gallon bladder in that location?

I'm looking at a KF4-1200 that has a 13 gal tank in the right wing and a locker in the left wing. To add more fuel the owner has installed a second header tank behind the seats. This added a lot of plumbing complexity and the plane still does not have enough fuel. There are issues with the engine that explain a higher than normal fuel burn rate.

The other option and probibley a prudent path would be to remove the dual header tanks and get a single aluminum tank that can hold between 8-10 gallons.

I'd still like the ability to haul some fuel in the wing locker for cross countries even if I need to manually pump from the locker fuel tank bladder to the 13 gallon wing tank and balance the plane that way.

What have guys done to add more fuel to their birds without adding too much weight and complexity?

Default Re: Wing locker -auxilary fuel

I always thought that the locker went with a 7 gallon small tank in the same wing. I agree, a second header makes for an overly complex plumbing system that could lead to leaks. What age is your plane? Is your current tank an ethanol resistant variety? Have you thought of upgrading to two of the new alcohol friendlier tanks? What motor do you have? What is your fuel burn?

I know the old adage is you never have too much gas unless you're on fire. But;

I have 26 gallons of fuel (2x 13G tanks) and with a 912 at 3-4 GPH this makes at least 6+ hours of endurance. Way more than really needed.

With a 582 at 5 GPH, one wing tank and a 2 gallon header you still have 3 hours. But, that may be borderline if you are flying cross country trips in the plane.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

yea, This plane needs more fuel. I put up a post about the plane with a link to the photobucket.

http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=5289

has anyone put anything heavy, 30lbs, in the wing locker? Is it capable of holding that weight?

A 5 gallon fuel bladder could fit in there and would be a nice amount to top off with if doing a fly-in/x-country. Doesn't even have to be plumbed in to the fuel system.

Any concerns?

Many have a 13 gal fuel tank in each wing. My wing has a 6 gal fuel tank and the storage locker, which you say will hold a 5 gal bladder. That would put 11 gallons in that wing rather than 13 if I had the larger 13 gal tank. So, why not. I like the idea.
    Now, the practical question: Do you know of a 5 gal bladder that fits?
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

Check with the manufacturers of race car tanks, they have a sheet metal outer skin with bladders inside, out of the metal skin, depending on the manufacturer, some are like bags, very flimsy and they stuff slosh spounges inside of them to elininate inertia in turns, take the spounge out and you have a " gas bag"
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

ya that small fuel bladder is exactly what I'm thinking about.
    There are some other options for back country motorcyclists. A collapsible light gas "can" could be super handy.

Do you guys think that the wing locker can support 30lbs of mass in thermals?

http://www.turtlepac.com/

there is a 5.3 gallon gas bag on the site
    Last edited by SkyPirate; 02-01-2014 at 06:56 PM.
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

ok thats helarious, you guys replied with the same info at almost the same time!

great minds think alike
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL