Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New guy new project

Default Re: New guy new project

Tail assembly
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wings in the paint booth

Silver is done

The white is on.......... But we need more to finish the job

Good progress. Nice paint booth.
    Keep after it. Lots of fun when she is finished.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Worked about 3 hrs on her today. I got the newer three spring tailwheel spring installed. The rudder is installed. The wings are fully painted and ready for installation tomorrow. Also I will be doing a one hr test run tomorrow as well.

We are getting some progress now so it's time to update this thread. Shortly after my last post I tested the O200. The results were a disaster. The engine was unable to achieve RPMs greater than 1400 and once the oil warmed up the pressure went to 10 lbs. after running the leak down test revealed one cylinder was completely trashed. So that engine was no good. I didn't know what to do for a long time and eventually we decided to try to do a rebuild. I figured a cost of about 15k was going to be required to accomplish this. Joe my mechanic suggested going with a corvair which after some research I agreed would be a fun alternative to what I had. We sold the engine and have been collecting the parts ever since. Today I picked up the final box of parts down in Florida and am on my way home to begin assembly. The motor will be comparable in weight to an O200 but at 120hp. The current plan (men plan, God laughs) is to begin assembly in 2 weeks and hopefully start first flights around New Years if all goes well during installation. The fuselage is done at this point. Joe put in the adjustable pedals along with a new floorboard. The tail and wings are done and the fuel system is plumbed in with the new header tank. Now all that's left is the engine installation. The folks at SPA in Florida are developing a motor mount and exhaust system for use in the Kitfox. I owe them a great debt of gratitude for all they have done to get me to this point. Since the next step is going to strictly involve the engine I have decided to continue this thread over in the engine forum titled "Corvair in a Kitfox". Most likely due to the fact that that will overshadow the rest of any aircraft related work I do I will probably post the flight results there as well. So thankyou for letting me post here and let's hope the next thread is a success.

Will be watching for the Corvair postings. Very good luck with the engine build and install.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear