Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Header tank

Default Re: Header tank

You might consider installing the larger header tank and the low fuel warning system right above it. The small tank will empty first giving you early warning before your header even starts to empty.

image.jpg
    (Photo from my 7Super Sport build.)

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Thanks for the pic Desert, thats a good setup. Papua, yes my left tank was dry L=8gl R=15gl left always drains faster for some reason. I am really thankful I realized what was happening and how to fix it when I lost power. Never had to do a full restart. While gliding all I did was raise the wing and just listen to it struggle severely to keep running for about 15 sec until it picked up enough fuel to run. Good lesson after only flying a champ with a single tank infront of the firewall with a fuel indicator. Definately not one to forget soon

I believe this same scenario could have happened even if the left tank was not dry. If both tanks were fairly low on fuel then sustained flying with right wing low would allow gravity to drain the left tank across to the right tank until the left was completely empty. Then the fuel in the right tank would stay to the far low side keeping the pickup port uncovered-then engine quit after header tank is run dry. I'm not telling you something you don't already know, I am just rehashing it to myself to burn it into my own brain.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Yes as a matter of fact I closed off my left tank so that by bringing the right wing up I wouldn't do that very thing.