Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Oil Consumption?

Default Oil Consumption?

I have a Kitfox 2 with a 582. The motor has just been rebuilt, and wen flying it yesterday, I feel like I consumed a lot of oil. I used about 12 gallons of fuel, and my oil reseviour was about half empty when I put the plain away. I don't know for sure how big that reseviour is, It's the standard one that should have come with the kit. Does this sound like a normal amount of consumption? My spark plugs appear to be perfect in color. My Egt's are running between 1,000-1,100. So everything else seems to be good. I just want to make sure I'm not burning way too much oil.
    Also, the little oil bottle on top of the injector system; the cap isn't on there the best. It doesn't come off, but I'm wondering if I'm losing oil out of there. Will it hurt anything to put a screw in the hole on top of the cap and safety wire that?
    Thanks for any input!
    Andy

Default Re: Oil Consumption?

I would say the best way to see how much oil you are going through is to check how much you have to add to get it back to where it was before the flight. At 50 to 1 ratio, you will go through a quart of oil for 12.5 gallons of gas. There are marks on the oil pump and where the cable connects to the pump for setting the oil pump to the right amount of oil being delivered. Also, the little oil bottle on the top you mention has nothing to do with your oil injection system. That oil is just for lubricating the rotary valve/water pump shaft and gear that is driven off the crankshaft. Do a search for the articles from the CPS catalog called Proper Care and Feeding of the Rotax Engine You will find both of these subjects discussed there as well as lots of other information on running the Rotax 2 stroke engine. I would call that required reading for anyone running these engines. Jim Chuk

Default Re: Oil Consumption?

Hi

Your reservoir is 1,8 Liter (0,47 gal) and if you need about a half, then you get 0,9 Liter (0,23 gal) for 45,5 Liter (12 gal) fuel. The result is about 1 Liter ( 0,26 gal) oil by 50 Liter ( 13,2 gal) fuel and this is exactly the mixture (1:50 ratio) you have to need for the 582....it's OK!

Don't put any screws in the hole of the oil-reservoir, this is a closed system and it needs the hole. I have mounted this reservoir at my firewall, know I can't lost oil by motorshaking.

Olaf