Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: condensation in the oil

Default condensation in the oil

I have run my engine a few times, looking for and fixing oil and coolant leaks as well as checking for spurious noises in the electrical system. Each run lasts for about 15 min with the oil temps never exceeding 150 or so, total time now ~90 min. Rotax warns that the oil temps must get over 212 to eliminate condensation in the crank case, anyone know how serious an issue this is and what the ramifications are? I expect I am still several months away from flying and worry that somehow this could harm my engine.
    Any thoughts comments or suggestions appreciated.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Default Re: condensation in the oil

I would install the oil thermostate that lockwood sells. I installed one on my last engine and transfered it to the new one. Should keep the temps up all the time.

One extra note on installing the thermo. It allows the oil to stay in the tank better, at least for me. Unless I let the engine sit without running for a week or more, it doesn't lower much at all. I generally just turn the prop by hand a couple times and than jump in and crank the engine with the mags off for a count of 6 and flip the mags on and go fly.

I mounted my thermo on the top of the gear case with a bracket that I made, bolted to the spare holes on the back top side of the case.

For those short runs, just remove the oil cap when done running the engine, will help on evaporating the water.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Thanks for the suggestion, do you have a pic of your thermo install?
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Dorsal, I mounted the Lockwood oil thermostat, upside down on the left rear cylinder head with an adel clamp and short extension ( similar to adel clamp mounting of oil line to the oil cooler to left front cylinder head ), and close to the oil tank. The oil lines support the light thermostat well. The adel clamp just assuages my worrying nature.
    This allows the oil lines to and return from the oil cooler at the front of the engine to connect at the forward end of the thermostat.
    Thermostat mounted upside down to allow the bottom rear oil line to the oil pump to pass easily under the crankcase, and the oil supply from the oil tank to be at the same level with the top connection to the thermostat. Lockwood told me that upside down mounting was fine as long as you were careful to purge all of the air out of the system.
    You are welcome to come see it if you wish.
    Maurice

Mo,
    Thanks, do you have your oil cooler below (on the radiator) or in front?
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

My oil cooler is on the front of the engine and my coolant radiator is on the lower rear of the engine.
    Maurice