Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Advice on cowling

Default Advice on cowling

I picked up a plane with a makeshift cowl on it. Never having done fiberglass edits I thought I'd give it a shot. I attached some pics of the steps I took. Now currently it's at the stage of needing some big time attention with body work and evening out. Frankly I'm not too happy with how it's turned out with air bubbles and stuff. Hopefully afte you see the pics you can tell me whether or not I should continue on. I had a composites guy come look and he said the inside is really nice and smooth so could do a little bit of work and use mine as a mold laying up on the inside with vacuum infusion. His quote was $800 and will be primed and all hardware installed. Do you think I should let him do it or continue plugging away hoping this has potential? The front inlets still need smoothing out and also wondering any thoughts in the rad location and some sort of induction?
    Thanks for the help

Default Re: Advice on cowling

Here are the pics
    Attached Images Attached Images

Picture no.2

Picture no.3

The guy who made all the fiberglass parts for Avid Flyers can make you an Avid MK IV cowl for a lot less money than that. His name is Ron Smith, and he is in Belgrade Mt. # is 406-388-3099 I got a Jabiru/Avid cowl and the bottom of a MK IV cowl from him about a month and a half ago. His price is very reasonable. I've actually seen people selling used ones for more than I paid. Give him a call and see what he can do for you. Jim Chuk

PS just looked at your pics again, and see that the plane is an Avid. MK IV landing gear on it as well. Call Ron, you will be glad you did. Just checked and his email is ronallpro@yahoo.com
    Last edited by avidflyer; 11-28-2014 at 06:36 PM.

Hey Jim thank you very much for the info and his contact. I tried calling but I think was too late. I just noticed you gave me his email also so I will shoot him one. Again thanks very much.
    Yes my plane is an MKIV with a Subaru engine.