Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are these parts for?

Default What are these parts for?

I have a SS 7 kit that I bought used and I can't figure out where the pieces go.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Marv
    Building 7 SS

Default Re: What are these parts for?

It appears they are for the lift strut fairings. Contact Kitfox for the instructions.

Yes they are definitely for the lift strut fairings. Many people (including me) don't use them, but fair in the strut "V" using Hysol and SuperFill.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

By the way Tom, I just looked at your build website and noticed you still have the old plastic header tank installed. IMHO save youself future headaches and swap it out with the new aluminum tank. A nice new plane like you are building does not deserve that plastic leaker.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    By the way Tom, I just looked at your build website and noticed you still have the old plastic header tank installed. IMHO save youself future headaches and swap it out with the new aluminum tank. A nice new plane like you are building does not deserve that plastic leaker.
    My plan is to first give it a try but, on filling it the first time, if it gives me the slightest whiff of a leak I'll change it for an aluminum tank.

Keep a close eye on it. Mine didn't leak at first. Then I started flying and it is out of sight under the baggage fabric. It then started a slow leak that I didn't catch until it had made quite a mess. More work to replace at that point.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Waid View Post
    My plan is to first give it a try but, on filling it the first time, if it gives me the slightest whiff of a leak I'll change it for an aluminum tank.
    I went through 2 of the Plastic Header Tanks in my SLSA, finally John sent me an Aluminum one. No leaks since.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Marv,

FWIW - here is what the part looks like installed......it works - but - bolts stick through in the center and there is still a space to deal with on the top end between the struts. It is easy to understand why builders come up with options that are a bit more aesthetically pleasing and cleaner looking.

Thinking some day when I get bored I might tear everything off the lift strut tubes and start over.

Sincerely,

Dave S
    KF 7 Trigear

Post Re: What are these parts for?

On the poly header tank I fix mine twice and the third time sent it to recycle and replaced it with the aluminum one. All good now

I used that material to make channels for the lower trailing edge of the aft strut PVC (relief cut clearance for wing folding). Did this rather than just fill the whole cavity with Hysol/Superfil. Don't know if anyone else has done this..? It finished out very well.