Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: A much faster Kitfox?

Default Re: A much faster Kitfox?

Quote Originally Posted by rocketman2tm View Post
    Seeing as a 200 mph Kitfox was mentioned, I feel that I should share an article about a turboprop Kitfox I found.

This was from the Skystar days. I doubt that they ever sold any. Did anyone ever see this beast or see it fly?
    "We've derated the puppy to only 300 horsepower or so, added some rudder, and are requiring a factory checkout... but for those who are willing to part with $150K, you'll get an airplane that takes off, at full gross, in under 20 feet, climbs 5000 fpm, and will cruise at 200 kts at 18K."

Holy cow!!

Anyone have a photo of that beasty thing?
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Here's my speed story. Kitfox classic 4 with 52 HP 503 Rotax with 3:1 gear box. First built, 68" 3 blade GSC taper tip prop. No fairing on struts or the stock tube landing gear. 6000 RPM was 65 mph.

Put the wood fairing on the landing gear and changed to a 72" 2 blade Square tip Warp prop. 6000 RPM was 75 mph.

Added the PVC fairing to the wing struts. 6000 RPM went up to 85 mph. Full throttle level flight, 6600 RPM and gets 87 mph.

I have the prop set for climb not cruise. I think I have hit the max speed wall for this prop/pitch and the little 503 engine. I have the prop set for climb not cruise. I can get it up to 100 mph in a dive but I have to reduce the throttle to less than 4000 RPM or the EGTs get too high.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r3400 View Post
    Anyone have a photo of that beasty thing?
    I remember reading that article and got pretty excited. Then I remembered what day it was. Check the date.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

I remember reading that article and got pretty excited. Then I remembered what day it was. Check the date.
    Tom you nailed it.
    The closest they ever got to something like that was the turbo charged 7 with a Hoffman C.S. prop.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Does the 2004 date have significance ?

Other than being 10 years ago, and Skystar in the article.
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

Does the 2004 date have significance ?
    April 1st does. It's an April Fool's Day joke from Ed Downs.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

I missed the April 1st part ! Doh!
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

this is my story. I have the kitfox 4 1200. speedster wings. empty weight 630lbs, my horizontal has the wood inserts, so it's not a flat horizontal. vertical is normal, flat. I have all gaps sealed including the rudder, I have the plastic fairings on the struts. I have the 912uls with the medium IVO inflight. I can take off within 100 ft. I can climb out @ 60mph with a vsi of 1800ft min. I cruise all day long at 120mph. I have thought of cleaning her up a little more. I think 120 is just fine and the take off is great. Just ask Scott. My thought is if you clean her up too much than slowing down coming into an airfield will change, meaning it won't. at least like I like. I love the fact that I can pull the throttle and flatten the prop and do a real nice short approach. unless you have witnessed my short approaches you don't know what a true kitfox can do. I personally don't want to screw with this one. so my dirty little plane, both visual and actual flying is just fine with me. I love the way she is, I'm not changing her. so you can have your fast kitfox if that's what you want. for me if I want fast, which I do, I go fly my rv. she does very much right there at the 200. now that one, if I can make her go faster you bet, that is what she is designed for.

as far as going up high. I believe the kitfox is a low flying machine, you know, flying through the trees and along the river bank. I've personally never flown to 17000 ft even in the rv. do you have oxygen. I've got it in the rv. just asking. the only time I've taken the rv up high is to go over weather.

have a nice day
    Last edited by Slyfox; 10-18-2014 at 05:30 AM.

I agree we don't want to lose our short field ability while trying to gain cruise. My 4-1200 even on floats doesnt like to slow down (especially if I compare it to my Highlander) but I've learned how to land it short by slipping it really hard (in initial testing hard enough that I blew out my side windows ), which offsets an airfoil that is too clean to slow down easily, an idle that is a bit too high, and a prop that's not long enough. I'm guessing you are running a 72 inch prop? A med IVO in a longer length I'm sure would help slow my plane down, but with an 80 hp 912 that really isn't an option.

Yeah, our planes will never go as fast as the bigger RV's, but I'm advocating that they should be able to go as fast as the small RV 12, while still being more versatile (skis, floats, big tires, etc). And heck, some of our Foxes are already close to the speeds of that 12, so I think it can be done.

Fast? I once flew a turbo 330 hp Glasair 3 that cruised at 75 percent over 300 mph. And one like it clocked over 400 mph at Reno this year. So if I ever REALLY want fast, I'm probably going that route.

What I'm getting at with a faster Kitfox is having the ability to go 10 or 20 mph faster when trying to get somewhere when dealing with that all too common headwind. And I'm convinced that our little Kitfoxes have that potential if we can just share some ideas.