Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Self Amalgamating Tape

Default Self Amalgamating Tape

Other names are Self Fusing, F4 and Rescue tape. Has anyone used this stuff for terminating fire sleeve? Lots of vendors all over the internet with prices varying from $5 to $50 per roll. They all seem to be selling the same thing. Seems like a good alternative to spendy fire sleeve end dip. Here's one

Default Re: Self Amalgamating Tape

I never thought of self sealing silicone tape as an end to fire sleeve. That would probably be a good idea if the temp rating was high enough.

Another one I've seen is just using orange high temp silicone (permatex).
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I'll need to use that when I replace all my hoses in February.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r3400 View Post
    Another one I've seen is just using orange high temp silicone (permatex).
    I think they're the same thing. Temp rating is 500F continuous which is better than the rating for Aeroquip firesleeve (what I have).

edit: I see you were just talking about the silicone goop.. please ignore :-)
    Last edited by PropellerHead; 10-08-2014 at 12:51 PM.

One of the reasons I want to try this stuff is that I was curious about one feature I see in many installations involving hose clamps. With all the installations I've looked at, the firesleeve stops just shy of the hose clamp leaving the end of the hose exposed. With AN fittings, the fire sleeve usually extends out to the metal. With F4 tape, you can just keep wrapping out over the end of the line, encapsulating the clamp and all. You'd have to cut it away to remove the hose but does that really matter? Thoughts?

Another possible benefit is no potential for pinching the hose with fire sleeve clamp that's too tight.

Yes I've used silicone sealing tape for the ends of heat shields and firesleave. On firesleave I also use stainless zip ties lightly pulled over the end to hold it in place.
    Andy Karmy
    Kitfox 7 - 912S - SOLD
    Auburn, WA

http://kitfoxflying.com

Quote Originally Posted by akarmy View Post
    Yes I've used silicone sealing tape for the ends of heat shields and firesleave. On firesleave I also use stainless zip ties lightly pulled over the end to hold it in place.
    You used a clamp in addition to the tape? You don't think the tape would hold well enough by itself?

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Hi,
    I use the aeroquip silicone tape , it is made for this and other uses. You also can make your own end dip by taking red hi temp silicone and diluting with acetone to a consistancy that will allow you to brush it into the first 1" or so of the fire sleeve.
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

Quote Originally Posted by PropellerHead View Post
    You used a clamp in addition to the tape? You don't think the tape would hold well enough by itself?
    Depends on the usage. Here's a sample where I was using just the heat shield kevelar fabric and wrapped the ends.

RV-8 FWF by akarmy, on Flickr

I tend to use the stainless zip's on normal firesleve to secure it more in place.
    Andy Karmy
    Kitfox 7 - 912S - SOLD
    Auburn, WA

http://kitfoxflying.com

Holy cow! Nice firewall! Mine looks so dingy in comparison. My firewall has an aging stained cover over it. Is that optional? Attached an annotated picture with more questions. Sorry about straying from the topic but I just gotta know!
    Attached Images Attached Images