Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: S7 options - can't find answers

Default S7 options - can't find answers

What is:
    Speedster tail
    Bottom false ribs
    Pre fab kit

I'm ready to place my order and will build it with the UL350is to give the punch I need up here in Tahoe. I don't know if I need the above options given I will have 130 hp (less altitude losses) and flying under LSA.

Tim
    Last edited by TahoeTim; 10-04-2014 at 03:36 PM.

Default Re: S7 options - can't find answers

Tim,

Deborah & John can fill you in on specifics - particularily what is included in the prefab kit; however, the three items you are asking about are pretty standard.

The speedster tail is a set of intercoastal ribs which give the tail an airfoiiled shape rather than a flat/slab sided style like you would have on a piper cub. I have flown both and prefer the rudder feel with the speedster tail.

The bottom false ribs go on the bottom of the wing and extend part way back from the front spar between each of the main ribs......the idea with these is to better maintain the correct airfofol shape of wing under flight loads.

The prefab kit, as I understand it, includes a lot of the small parts that you would normally cut, fabricate, etc from supplied materials if you didn't get the prefab kit......a time saver in construction....I did not get this option as I rather enjoy making up the small parts.

Sincerely,

Dave S
    KF 7 Trigear
    912 ULS Warp

Hi Tim,

I'm currently building a super sport that i bought in 2012 and checked all of those options.

The speedster tail kit consists of wooded ribs for the rudder and vertical stabilizer. The horizontal stabilizer and elevator already have airfoils. The alternative to this is to just cover the vertical tail surfaces flat. Aesthetically, I like the looks of the tail with the speedster kit better. I obviously cannot speak to how it flies with this, but supposedly the rudder response is better and you'll probably get a knot or two.

The bottom false ribs help keep the shape of the bottom wing fabric. Once again, I can't attest to how it flies with this, but I know it will look better. One thing to keep in mind is if you order the bottom false ribs and the quick build wing, the factory will install almost all of these for you.

The prefab kit consists of a number of prefab parts that help speed assembly. Some of the parts in the kit are different than the parts that you have to make if you don't buy the kit. I personally think that the parts in the kit are better than I could make them. You will also probably want access to a mill if you're going to make these.

I looked at the ul engine as well. In the end I went with the 912is sport. I think you will be happy with your engine as well.

Hope this helps

John
    John Grueter
    N188LR
    Kenosha, WI
    Series 7 Super Sport - flying!

I also checked all these options. The prefab kit is completely worth the money in my opinion. It saves you countless hours and saves you from buying tools to get the pieces properly made.

I really wanted to go with UL but we found a deal on a 914 that was too good to pass up.

Thanks everyone, I have a handle on it now. I picked every option except the nose wheel and passenger brakes. $27k !!!

That sounds about right for price, as long as the wife approves.
    John Grueter
    N188LR
    Kenosha, WI
    Series 7 Super Sport - flying!

The wife is good to go...she's a keeper.

Order up!!!
    Congratulations on a great pick,

Congrats Tim.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

It's official !

They took my money today bye bye $27k, $70k here we come.

Options:
    powder coat
    quick build wing
    speedster tail
    bottom ribs
    adjustable rudder pedals
    prefab kit
    tinted windshield
    bubble doors
    cargo bay kit
    wing strut fairings