Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Korn fed Kitfox

Default Re: Korn fed Kitfox

Hello all

In Europe we will have to use Mogas in a few years because the governments are very hard working to forbid AVGAS because of the lead in it.
    We have the luck that the car fuel we buy is without alcohol.
    And the price for Avgas in Holland is very high,about 3,25$ per liter(12,35$ per gallon)

here is just a thought concerning hauling fuel to the plane ,..the local Agricultural outlets have all different size fuel dispensors,..some that will go in a pick up bed ..some go on a small trailer ..complete with pump hose and nozzle,..and I believe if it's capacity is less then 300 gallons,..you do not need any special permit ,..just a thought .
    I use one for hauling fuel for the backhoe and tractors,..if you watch "Craigs list" on the web..once in a while they have complete used fuel tanks, pump ,hose and nozzle for little to nothing,

Chase
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

Cool Re: Korn fed Kitfox

I just read a post on the Avid web site where there is a lot of discussion on this issue. The post indicated that the gas companies ship their fuel sans alcohol to the distribution center. The alcohol is added just before filling up the trucks for delivery. The reason: corrosion in the tank trucks.

It would be great if mogas was distrubuted for aircraft without alcohol and I understand that there are some companies looking at affordable alternates. Some marina's sell non alcohol fuel because it is bad for boat engines. I think the cost is similar to avgas.

I am way okay with mogas, it's the corn I am wary of.

I read the post concerning gas in Europe and how expensive it is. It is fun to realize that pilots are pilots regardless of country and they appreciate the Kitfox as much as we.

Pete

For the record.. We have tested our current fiberglass tanks and they are resistant to ethanol. We made a resin change in Jan 08 after testing the resin for a 13 mos period.

Tanks prior to Jan 08 are questionable. The resins from Jan of 96 to Jan 08 have had mixed results... some have reported issues and some have not. Prior to Jan of 96 they were sloshed with KREEM as a requirement.

We can make new tanks for all the models. The poly tanks and the installation has never been tested or proven and we do not endorse the use.
    John McBean
    www.kitfoxaircraft.com

"The Sky is not the Limit... It's a Playground"

John,

I'm trying my best to understand the various fuel tank options but I think much of my confusion surrounds the use of the words 'ethanol-resistant', 'ethanol-proof' and 'impervious'. With regard to your new fiberglass wing tanks, I do hope you take time to clarify.

I understand the older poly-ester resin tanks were incompatible with ethanol and that the later vinyl-ester resin tanks, while they exhibited much improved resistance, were not impervious to the effects of ethanol. In both instances, I believe, the official position from Kitfox has been to employ a tank sealer when mogas use was being contemplated.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I interpret "We have tested our current fiberglass tanks and they are resistant to ethanol." above to mean your new tanks are more resistant to the effects of ethanol than the previous versions, however, they are still not considered impervious.

In another post you said, "To date.. we have put some pretty harsh chemicals in them with no effect. For the last several months they have had both 10% and 80% ethanol fuels in them and no effect." Not quite sure exactly what, if anything, that infers but after months of discussion on multiple forums, nowhere can I find reference to 'ethanol-proof' or 'impervious' in any discussion of the new tanks.

Am I missing something? I simply can not find where this question has ever been answered directly, and doing so would be most helpful.

For the record please... what is your official position on their use? Are the newest tanks suitable and safe for continued use of ethanol-laced mogas without a tank sealer, or do you still recommend a tank sealer for continued use with oxygenated fuels?

Thanks

Thanks for the awsome response. A lot of good informaton and I Will be using avgas after reading all the feedback. Afterall, I'll be flying behind a 2 cycle 582 so I don't need more to worry about than that. I'm not bashing the 582 but I once had an Avid flyer with the 43hp Cuyuna. It always creeped me out, ran great though..
    Thanks