Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Realistically, How Long to Build

Default Realistically, How Long to Build

Hi Everyone: I am new to the site and new to the possibility of building a Kitfox VII. I'm wondering what is a realistic build time for a first time builder. Kitplanes magazine says 750 hours, but some other sources indicate 2000+ hours. Also, I'm concerned about the amount of fabrication, which the FAA seems to be about to require a 20% minimum. The Kitfox is more of an assembly project, it seems to me, unless covering is considered fabrication. This may be the only plane I would have a fighting chance of doing since it comes with a frame complete. I have to think that having the frame eliminates a lot of cutting, dimensioning, layout and the need for precisely level layout tables, etc. Lastly. I'm glad to be a part of what is obviously a very active and extensive group. That is one of the draws to the Kitfox as well. Rich

Default Re: Realistically, How Long to Build

I've said this somewhere else before. But, if you are an engineer about 10 to 15 years. Why? because you will feel the need to re-engineer just about everything on the plane. If you are mechanical, like working with your hands. You can cut that down conciderably. I remember back when I redid my fox. Had to build a complete wing, stripped down all the fabric, repair the tail section, shorted the left wing, replace the landing gear. Took me 5 months. It was like doing the whole aircraft. I think if I were to do another kitfox, I could do her in a years time. My RV is at 2.5 years and is on the way to the airport for final assy. It is painted.

It all depends on YOU.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

I built mine in two years, and spent almost another fiddling around with
    details. I spent about 2000 hours.

Regards,
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by R. Griswold View Post
    750 hours, but some other sources indicate 2000+ hours. Also, I'm concerned about the amount of fabrication, which the FAA seems to be about to require a 20% minimum.
    Average build times vary greatly.. If you have a full time job and a family but do a little consisitantly the averages are 18 months. Hours ? They can be built in under 750 hours... a first time builder is averageing 1000 hours. It will also depend on how you configure the aircraft and how many "custom" things you decide to incorporate. You will also frequesntly get visitors that can slow you down.. but hangar flying is fun as well...
    John McBean
    www.kitfoxaircraft.com

"The Sky is not the Limit... It's a Playground"

Good Morning: Thanks to those who have already replied. Last evening, I did a Excel spreadsheet of all the tasks I would think have to be done, and gave each what I would think would be plenty of time, and the total came up to 1,250 hours. But as I well know from almost anything I do, nothing is ever quite as easy as it seems. I'm guessing wiring the back side of the panel could be a career all unto itself. Any additional input would still be helpful. Also, if I would proceed into this venture, I'm pleased to meet my newest best friend, John McBean. I assume you went right over my house enroute to Lakeland. I have several questions I'd like to ask you, and as soon as I can put them together in some sort of coherent way, I'll be in contact. P. S. No one really adressed the fabrication part of my questioning. Since the FAA defines fabrication as the use of raw materials to create a component, I would think covering the aircraft qualifies as more than simply assembly, and since it comprises a significant portion of the overall effort, would meet any 20% rule the FAA might soon adopt. Thanks again everyone. Rich

I guess the best thing to ask is about you. What do you do for a living? Do you repair things around the house or have somebody else do them?
    Do you like to tinker with things like your car or truck?
    Do you like wood working?

Greetings: To respond to allbee's question, I'm an architect, still working but looking at retirement soon. I do projects around the house, in fact, I built the house. I am sort of a car person, and will change brake pads, etc., and, not so much now but in the past, have done engine work, etc. I think I'm hearing that if someone from the Kitfox factory built one, it could be done very quickly. However, someone like me, who can at times get paralysis from analysis, will no doubt take longer. I knew all that when I asked the question, though. I assume many first time builders are going to be a lot like me, and I just wanted a realistic idea for that sort of person. Kitplane magazine says it is thinking of that sort of person when it estimates build time. However, there is a huge lifestyle difference between 750 hours and 2200 hours. At 67, I don't have time for a ten year project. Part of the issue is that when estimates to build an RV-12 are 2000 hours, maybe that really means 4000 hours. It's relative, and may be the reason I'd go with a Kitfox. Thanks everyone. If I get into this, I'm going to need you all. I must say that I'm amazed that at any given time, there may be ten or so members on this site. I looked into Hummelbirds, and on their primary website, there were only perhaps 8 posts so far in 2009, and at least 5 of those were mine. Thanks again. Rich

I think you will do just fine. I think you are pretty much like me. Get er don and fly it. I find that the best thing to help out is from others. Either by getting on here and posting a problem or seeing another airplane or a pick of others projects. When doing to kitfox I just went by pics more than anything. I also did a few remote airplanes. The kitfox is the same, just bigger and you will be sitting in it. You think building the plane is something, just wait until you are sitting in the seat at the runway ready to take off for the first time. Nothing like it. Heart a beating, push the power in, fly off the runway, way cool.

I think the best advice is to build it with a good engine, build basic, and than if you want extra's, put them on after it's flying. Electrical, just put one system at a time on. Before you know it, it's done.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Rich,
    Your estimate of 1250 hours is very close to what I spent on my first Kitfox. I built it in just under 1200 hours in a little over two years (with a full time job). This required a couple hours a day and one long weekend day each week. If you're retiring soon, you possibly could build in a year or less.

The kit meets all the 51% builder requirements to satisfy the FAA. You will fabricate enough parts to know you've "built" this aircraft. If fabrication is a concern, the pre-fab kit and quick-build wing options are definitely the way to go. Plus, they'll cut hundreds of hours off your total build time.

None of the assembly procedures are difficult for any layman to complete with simple tools. And none of the build needs to be 're-engineered' or 're-designed' unless you really want to get creative, which some builders spend their whole life doing.

So bite the bullet, get a kit, and fly it to next years Sun 'n Fun...
    Mark & Renee Smith
    Boise, ID
    "Build It ..."