Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Younger builders

Default Re: Younger builders

You might wait on the landing gear order too. With it installed on my model-4, the tail would hit my garage celling (though it is a Tri-gear). I just made ups some short wood gear with heafty lawn mower wheels to move the fuse around during work, and it turned out to be a great idea. A space saver too as my wood gear was very narrow.

The spring gear is also expensive and maybe you could do the same, and put off buying the gear until later in the project?

Roger

Mark,

I am not a younger builder; however, I WANTED to build back when I was 20, so I think I have a couple valid points that can help you along your way. Make your dream come true as soon as you can. When you are 150 years old on your deathbed I guarantee you will NEVER say "Gee I wish I hadn't built that plane and had all that fun".....guaranteed you will never say that.

Not everybody came from a family of aviators and builders - in my case, I am the first and only pilot and first and only builder in the family. First took flying lessons in college - got the bug to build at the same time. That was in the 1960's.......

I did get 20 hours in back when a Cessna 140 rented for $8 an hour and the instructor cost an additional $4 per hour. What stopped me from completing my certificate and from building at the time was money. (crap - I could have bought the 140 for $2000 at the time and it was barely 15 years old!) Aside from not coming from a family of aviators and builders, I didn't come from a family with much money either and had to pay my way 100% through college. Second issue with building was a place to build - didn't have one at the time that was guaranteed to stay available. Enough money became available for me to complete my pilot's certificate in 1990 and I started building our 'fox in 2005 in the garage and basement (yes, I measured the basement door first!) with a completion in 2008. Now we are flying and enjoying every minute of it even if I am about to retire early next year.

My lesson is you need to think about the two issues of cost and a place to build. You can mitigate cost in may ways and the 'fox is one of the best ways to do that to start with. Many folks on the list have suggested ways reduce the cost, you have a tremendous asset with your age - you have the luxury of time in your favor so it is entirely possible to fly soon by picking up a less expensive 'fox (kit sitting around or one of the early models completed but used) consider it your first plane and have lots of time till you become old enough to have enough money to jeopardize your children's inheritance by building the greatest 'fox ever.

Sincerely,

Dave S
    KF7 Trigear
    912ULS Warp

Wow, this thread made it to 2 pages?! So many great responses... There's definitely a recurring theme here about starting with something that's not a factory fresh model 7 (or classic IV). I'm pretty thin but 6'2" and sat in a Model IV which felt a bit cramped. Maybe it was just his configuration. How do I know if I fit in some of the older models? And if buy a used kit and my portion is less than 51% of the completion (and therefore I don't have a repairman certificate), how much does that add to the cost of ownership?

Thanks so much for all your comments and stories. C5Engineer love the picture.

-Mark

Chewie, there can be only one repairman certificate issed for the plane and many people confuse this rule to mean that person has to build 51%. There is no requirement for you to build 51% of the plane to get the repairman's certificate. You just have to be one of the builders of that plane.

As far as what would it cost if you don't get the repairman's certificate. The only thing you will have to pay for related to working on the plane is the annual condition inspection.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Roger, good idea about the gear. I already ordered it but the gear is the only thing that wont get through my doubel doors so it might be good to mock up some narrower gear for a temp solution til the end.

Mark, another way to save a few bucks is used/referbished equipment. Rotec(North American Rotax dealer) Sells factory rebuilt zero timed 912ULS for much cheaper than you can buy a brand new one. And it has all brand new specs to the engine. Check out barnstormers.com for used avionics and engines. A lot of people decide to upgrade there panels, engines, props etc. If you know the right questions to ask you can find good deals.

Quote Originally Posted by Chewie View Post
    Hello,
    First time post (I think) with a question that has been bogging me down for a while. Are there any guys here 35 or younger who are actively building a Kitfox? And I don't mean just helping your dad... If so, I'd love to hear your stories about how you got into it, how you learned the skills, and especially how you managed to finance it. I wish I could just change my passion and do something more 'reasonable' but it won't let me go!

Mark
    Hi Mark,

I started flying Avid Flyers and kitfoxes in 1987, and was 25 years old. I chose this design due to the inability at the time to afford "more conventional" aircraft. But now decades later, I can afford the other planes I could only dream about when I was in my 20's, but still prefer my Kitfox. It is just so much fun, and flies oh so well... the other aircraft by comparison handle like trucks. So if you have the time but not necessarily extra cash, stay with it. You will never regret building your Kitfox.

Paul S

Though it's an older thread, I though I'd add my story. I started building my Avid Mk 4 in 2001 when I was 25. Nine years later I finished it and got FAA approval in Oct 2010. On the upside, I paid 2001 prices for most of the components including the engine. On the downside, I had three job changes, four moves, and two children interrupt the building process--but kept the same wonderful wife! There were some years that I did little or no work on the project.

As long as you can dedicate a certain minimum amount of time to the project, go ahead. You'll work out the money side of it. At 35 I'm happy to be flying my own plane and I get great satisfaction out of the accomplishment.

Since the thread has been revived I thought I would make a comment even though an email my wife got this morning puts me well into geezer status - by the sender's definition. My story: Thinking I should increase my activity in EAA I decided to go to the November pancake breakfast. If I saw any hair at all, it was grey or white and I couldn't miss the guy with the walker helping behind the stove. My thoughts immediately went to the future of aviation especially our version. Then we went to the Christmas party which was much the same. I find this discussion heartening to say the least. Thank you all for telling your stories. Regrets? Only that I didn't start earlier.
    Lowell

Besides the incompatibility of drinking and flying, I don't see why aviation should have a following so less active and prolific than motorcycling. It has to be costs, but even then I've got friends my age who thought nothing of dropping $15k into a new Harley.

I think it's the perception of a highly regulated activity (true in some areas), and high startup costs with training running >$6000. I would love to have groups across the country who have weekend trips as often as motorcyclists, ATV'ers, or even dedicated bicyclists. Without these group activities it really is hard to sustain or grow the pilot population.

Yes, I know that there are fly ins and pancake breakfasts--maybe it's a difference in spontaneity that accounts for the perception?

In regard to cost, I pointed out to my neighbor the other day, when he was saying how much money little planes like mine cost, I have less than half what he has in his new truck and bass boat, in my TWO airplanes.

It's all about perception.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos