Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: A bunch of questions from a newbie..

Default A bunch of questions from a newbie..

First off, I have a bunch of questions and I've actually found some in the threads, but plenty more remain. I don't hold any licenses as a pilot and I'm in my early 20's. One of my dreams is to own a small aircraft within the next five years. I have a few questions so I'll just list them.

1) What license(s) do you need to own a light aircraft such as a Kitfox. I read that 10 hours or less and you can rent a Kitfox but I'm assuming you need a Private Pilot license???

2) How difficult is the building process of the Kitfox in general? How much time should I expect to put into building it? Can Kitfox build the plane for you?

3) I see that the base price is $19,999, but approximately what is the end cost after completion.

4) Also, I'm ignorant about this but I'll ask anyway haha. Since its an experimental aircraft, do you have to communicate with the FAA and have a flight plan? I assume not because I've seen videos of people landing in their backyard.

Sorry for the questions and I'm sure you've seen them before but I have plenty more in store!! Thanks for your help!

Default Re: A bunch of questions from a newbie..

1) What license(s) do you need to own a light aircraft such as a Kitfox. I read that 10 hours or less and you can rent a Kitfox but I'm assuming you need a Private Pilot license???

I do believe one would require a private pilot's license, or in the case of the SLSA variant ( http://kitfoxaircraft.com/Kitfox-SLSA.htm ) a Sport Pilot's License is required. However, if you were to operate a US registered SLSA aircraft up in Canada, you would require a private pilot's license.

2) How difficult is the building process of the Kitfox in general? How much time should I expect to put into building it? Can Kitfox build the plane for you?

To the best of my recollection, Kitfox Aircraft would not be able to build the kit for you and have it qualify as Experimental-Amateur Build, however they do offer an SLSA that is built at the factory for a web listed base price of $88,495 USD, and is available in nosewheel as well as tailwheel configuration.

3) I see that the base price is $19,999, but approximately what is the end cost after completion.

Final price would depend on how fancy one goes with avionics, as well as what engine one purchases (and if it is new or used/overhauled). A Rotax 912ULS will naturally cost more than a 582. I've seen a few comments in the $55-60k range, however I wouldn't doubt that if you went fancy enough the build could easily reach the $100k mark. however, I wouldn't doubt it if a few people were able to build the Kitfox on $35-40k.

4) Also, I'm ignorant about this but I'll ask anyway haha. Since its an experimental aircraft, do you have to communicate with the FAA and have a flight plan? I assume not because I've seen videos of people landing in their backyard.

I'll let others comment on such, as I've no knowledge on such things - I'm currently more in the dreamer/research stage at present.

Regarding point 4:

If you are flying under Visual Flight Rules (VFR) you generally do not have to file a flight plan (Some exceptions apply, especially in the Washington DC SFRA). It is prudent to file if you're on a cross country trip so you can more easily be found if you don't make it to your destination at the time you planned.

As far as communications go, if you live in a reasonably populated area you will at times need or want to communicate with control towers, approach control, flight service, etc. It is beneficial to make appropriate position calls at uncontrolled airports. Having a good communication radio and the knowledge of how to use it can make it much easier to accomplish your flight, provide up to date weather while you're in the air and generally help increase safety. I wouldn't fly without communications capability, even if it was just a handheld radio with an external antenna.

I am on me second Model IV-1200. The first kit was from the factory - $11500. The engine was a Rotax 912UL - $10500 new. Panel including avionics, don't forget prop, upholstery and paint - $10000. Insured for $30,000.

My current project, kit - used- $9000, engine - low time used - $8,000. Panel, prop, etc. $7000.

The point-take the kit price and times three. Not a hard and fast rule as some are better
    scroungers than others and some won't scrounge at all, but a reasonable guide. Build time? Depends on skill level, options and custom stuff - 1000 hours plus.

Tom89,
    I think the best thing I can suggest right off is for you to join the EAA and once a member you can access all the info to most any question you will have. Building a plane is no minor undertaking. You MUST be prepared to spend long hours of head scratching and rereading instructions before you start any building of parts that will eventually be a plane.
    Good luck!
    WW