Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Help! Is this a KF-IV or KF-V/VI bump cowl?

Default Help! Is this a KF-IV or KF-V/VI bump cowl?

Unfortunately, I can not physically confirm the actual measures. Before I waste a lot of time and gas, can anyone provide me with some quick advice and/or measures please?

- Is there any way to tell visually if this cowl is for the smaller 2,3,4 or larger 5/6 models?

- I believe I've seen both 4-pc and 2-pc bump cowl sets, if so which fits the larger 5/6 models? Also, some do appear longer, is there a Rotax vs. Cont/Lyc version for 5/6?

- What's the width of the 5/6 fuselage across the underside of the cabin at the door posts, and also where the rear edge of the lower cowl goes across?

- What is the length of the cowl as measured along the horizontal upper/lower split line from the rear edge at the door post to the front of the upper/lower rear and, separately, to the front of the ring cowl bowl.

Thanks a bunch!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Aeropro CZ Aerotrek A240 Tri-Gear SLSA 912uls
    -Airdale Avid+ on CZAW Amphibs 'FatAvid Floater' (building)
    -Kitfox 4-1200 TD 912ul (sold)
    -Kitfox Model III TD 582 (R.I.P.)
    -Avid Flyer Mk-IV TD (sold)

Default Re: Help! Is this a KF-IV or KF-V/VI bump cowl?

I am in St Augustine right now and quite removed from my hangar, but my feeling is that it is most likely a IV cowl. The V I worked on has a much further forward placed engine to balance a heavier aft section. The question to be determined is whether it is for a 912 or a 582. The 582 cowl is shorter yet, but either could be used if you are comfortable working with fiberglass.

Lowell
    Last edited by HighWing; 08-07-2011 at 10:21 AM. Reason: misspell