Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WORKING alternative to Rib lacing – WANTED

Default WORKING alternative to Rib lacing – WANTED

Howdy all;

I just went to Oshkosh rib lacing class, and boy was it a bear. Do you have a known and working alternative to rib lacing, assuming a guy is going to use the Poly Fiber process? Something good-as lacing that you have used, but without all the string attached?

Thanks

Roger

Default Re: WORKING alternative to Rib lacing – WANTED

I'm sure this isn't necessarily what you want to hear, but once you've done a couple ribs you'll develop a rhythm, and find it isn't that bad. I started on the short section of the rib under the fuel tank...did it, pulled the stitches, did it again, pulled the stitches, did it a third time, finally satisfied, and moved forward from there. The more I did, the better I got and the quicker it went. Just keep the internal structure in mind when you lay out your spacing and you'll be done before you know it, and have a marketable skill too! A couple tips: make sure you leave enough room for the needle to pass between the rib and the fuel tank and it will make lacing on that rib a lot easier; also, I found having a work light under the wing made it easier to spot the shadow of the needle and work it to the pre-punched holes...occasionally, I used a flashlight when the work light wasn't enough.
    Last edited by Wiley; 08-03-2011 at 12:02 PM.

Roger,
    I think you will find that a consensus here is to do the lacing. There are other ways to "shortcut" the process, but lacing is the best way to go. I found a DVD of the lacing process helpful when I was learning. It made it easy to watch and do. Like others will mention...once I did a few knots I found my stride and it was easy. Hang in there and you will be fine.
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ

Thanks for the good solid advice guys. But having said that, I want an "Easy" button on this !!!!! Anyone who has done it with another method, please reply. Help me make my life easy !!!

Roger

This doesn't answer your question directly, but maybe the type of knot they demonstrated might be scaring you more than the process? I used the "Staggerwing" knot described here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OsIBk_RWQY

It's very easy. Was a lot easier than the other versions and is easily done with only one person. It took me about 15 minutes per rib once everything was marked out and I was going slow since it was my first time. Use flat chord and take your time on the first few. It will become second nature.

Roger,

There are three ways to mechanically attach fabric to the ribs. Lacing, screws/rivets, or clips. Martin and Cessna clips are available at ACS. The Martin clips are by far the fastest and easiest but they are the most expensive. Truss head screws being the least expensive.

One of the forums I attended at Oshkosh was the fabric covering forum put on by Poly-Fiber, Ceconite, and Randolph. It was very informative. The forum lasted about four hours and everyone got hands on experience covering a control surface from start through Poly Brush.

We also got to practice rib lacing on a wing section. Once you get into it you will find rib lacing easy and fairly fast. To ease your job, it's pretty important you have a jig that can rotate the wing so you can get the surface vertical. You can make a jig from PVC pipe. It will really save your back.

One of the nice things about lacing is it doesn't need to be done all at once. You can do it over several days if you like. It's really quite relaxing once you get into the rhythm.

If you don't wish to lace, screws or clips are perfectly acceptable choices for a Kitfox.

John Pitkin
    Greenville, TX

when I did mine, yes it was a pain. so I went with the individual tie. That's where you loop it around the rib and over the fabric, than double tie, cut the string and move to the next spot. This airplane is not some big certified thing. In fact many will argue that you don't need to do it. I have 1500hrs on mine and the rib stitch still looks perfect. I say don't sweat it and at least do what I did.

Oh and to add a little here, I'm not your normal flyer. I do pull some g's on a normal basis.

See my post under wing covering.

This talks about the riveting method that we used on a lot of Kitfoxes.

I wouldn't use any other way.
    Last edited by War Eagle; 08-03-2011 at 07:58 PM.

I agree with Geowitz. The Staggerwing knot is quick and easy.

Thanks for all the advice guys, like John I went to the fabric class at Oshkosh this year, which didn't scare me much, but the rib stitch demo across the way did !!! I will look into the stitch type alternative, right now it looks like I will be doing fabic work all winter.

Thanks again for all the info

Roger