Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: KF3 Header Tank

Default KF3 Header Tank

Anybody out there still using the round aluminum header tank. Is it still required to remove or relocate behind the seat and what is the latest fuel line routing. This is a new build so its got to pass the inspection.

Default Re: KF3 Header Tank

I'm in the sunny state of Florida. The header tank approx. 1 gal. fits so nicely in front of the dash its ashamed not to use, but don't know to route the fuel lines over or under door.

I don't think the DAR or FAA cares where the header tank goes. I doubt many if any have had the inspector look at the plans and confirm compliance. I suspect they will look at the install, and check for security, chafing possibilities, possibility of interference with other structures and proper clamping procedures. My first Model IV came in just as the factory was transitioning from the round behind the baggage sack to the plastic behind the seat. Confusion with the plans resulted in mine - plastic - being behind the baggage sack. I liked it there as I was able to run the wing tank to header tank lines along the tube at the top of the quarter window behind the door. There they were virtually out of sight and more importantly out of the way. This time, I have the plastic header tank and I am running the fuel lines straight down to the seat back then diagonally across to the header tank. I have seen guys run theirs down the diagonal brace inboard to the seat back. I never liked that idea because of possible interference with getting into the baggabe sack. From the header tank, the newer guys are running forward in the middle toward the center console as that is where their shut off valve is. We did that on the V I was helping with, but it sure gets crowded at the bulkhead and no real spots to secure the fuel line to keep it away from the controls. I prefer to run it on the side below the passenger door, then up the forward door post and over to the shut off valve.

Lowell
    Last edited by HighWing; 07-27-2011 at 02:23 PM.

Thanks for the great information. Looks like I may be able to fit the round header in the dash or behind the seat.

I trust you have found the Service Letters and Service Bullitin pertaining to header tanks and fuel line routing. They explain the problems with front mounted header tanks.

I have the large...9 gallon...clear front header tank with fuel lines from the wing tank routed above the door and down the diagonal brace to the header. Fuel flows well from the 12 gallon wing tank until it is down to about 3 or 4 gallons then it can stop flowing easily if the wing tank is unported. I can get every drop out of the wing tank but have to fly for a while with that wing very high.

I don't worry about the fuel stoppage from the wing tank because I can see the remaining fuel in the header. I don't let the header get below 4 gallons if I am going to need the fuel from the wing. I would be pretty nervous if I couldn't see it.

Here's the service letter about fuel flow to front mounted headers stopping. http://www.kitfoxaircraft.com/suppor...tters/sl22.htm

Here's the follow up Bulletin http://www.kitfoxaircraft.com/suppor...etins/sb29.htm

And then there's this letter that among other things cautions about having fuel lines from the wing tank not going continuously down hill.
    http://www.kitfoxaircraft.com/suppor...etins/sb29.htm
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder