Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Highlander vs Kitfox vs Rans S6ES

Default Highlander vs Kitfox vs Rans S6ES

I am thinking of ordering a highlander or a Kitfox kit this week! I have mulled over so many kits and planes and I keep coming back to the Highlander and Kitfox. The other 1 I was thinking about seriously is a Rans S6ES. I like the finish, the STOL, and price of the Rans, and I live about 2 hours from a dealer, BUT, not happy about the storage bay configuration and payload or looks. Kitfox is great for higher speed, nice fit and finish, lose a bit on STOL and storage is OK but no where as nice as the Highlander. The only things I am not 100% happy with the Highlander, is the cruise speed and the fact that they have only shipped a couple hundred kits. Kitfox and Rans is 4000+ each. Any comments appreciated!

Thanks
    Bandit

Default Re: Highlander vs Kitfox vs Rans S6ES

Which KF are you considering? The 4?
    Kitfox 4 (1050)
    912UL
    Based in UK

All are good choices
    Dick

I have built a Kitfox 5 and an RV. Also looked at builders manuels for many kits. IMHO Kitfox puts out by far the best Builders manuel and the parts packaging is fantastic. You don't spend a lot of time searching for the right nut, bolt or whatever.
    David E.
    Woodstock, Georgia
    N97DE S5 TD Flying

N97KE RV-9A Sold
    N96KE RV10 Sold
    Rans S21 Helping Brother Build (Selling)
    Vans RV-14A (On Order)

I am looking at the S7 Super, I plan to put amphib floats on for summer and although I love the storage of the Highlander, I am concerned it will be way to slow! Does anyone have any true cruise speeds for the Kitfox on amphibs?

Thanks
    bandit

I have also looked at all the selections. The Highlander is a VERY nice plane. I went to their manufacturing location and was given the tour. Very nice and helpful people workking there.
    One of the reasons for seeing less Highlanders is the fact that they are a fairly new company. Have been seeing quite a few of their planes being used in true bush enviroments and they seem to do well.
    The owers plane is outfirred with big tundra tires and he flies it to some pretty rough places.
    The little bit of speed diference between the kits is not that big of deal. Unless one is traveling across the country, a few MPH slower just gives you more time to enjoy flying....isn't that what it is all about?
    WW

Yes I understand that a few MPH is not a big deal, but I am planning on some cross country trips, and although it will only be a couple times a year, it still is a consideration for me. Flying locally, I agree, 10-2-mph will not affect, but on those cross country trips, it makes a huge difference! The Kitfox is a very good STOL plane and has the better cruise, but I LOVE the storage area and STOL of Highlander.

Thanks
    Bandit

You mention the baggage area as a concern. The Kitfox bag area is quite large with 150 lb capacity. The standard baggage compartment may be extended and the floorboard tabs are already welded in place by the factory. The extended baggage will easily handle skis or golf clubs.

You might also look at the Kitfox gross weight at 1550. That leaves a lot of room if you add floats.

While I tend to tell everyone about the great factory support, one should not overlook the quality of the kitfox. The welds are clean, the drag and antidrag braces have weldment fittings instead of bent and crushed ends. There are lots of refinements that make the Kitfox a superior product. Look closer at the construction.

What ever you choose, enjoy your build.

John Pitkin
    North 40 - OSH

Yes, I see some pictures on the much improved Kitfox baggage area, but it looks like access is somewhat restricted. I have never seen 1 in real so hard to tell. If it is easy access, that would help my decision immensely! It looks as though you could almost fit mountain bikes in the Highlander by taking wheels off! This would be a huge thing for me, but I have never seen either plane in real, so I hope to get feedback from all of you in the know!

Thanks
    Bandit

Hello Bandit

I have Kitfox Vixen Model 5 in Penticton. If you want to see it and/or take a ride, let me know.

Don