Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: flight test program

Default Re: flight test program

Randy,

So you didn't need a written flight test plan?

I was originally going to use the FAA for the inspection so I wanted to make sure I had EVERYTHING that I needed because I heard some of the inspectors can be very critical on every piece of paperwork. Now I switched to using a DAR so I can bounce ideas or questions off of him but I would still like to have my ducks in a row and make the inspection as easy as I can for him.

That's a drag about the filter. I just bought and installed a billet aluminum filter because I was leary of the glass filters. I'll run this by the DAR I am using and see if I need to go back to the "cheesy" glass filter.

Thanks

Jerry

Its interesting that there are people inspecting experimental aircraft that don't have an understanding of the purpose and requirements of experimental aircraft. As noted though, its best to find out what your inspector wants to see.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

the best advice I can give on the flights after the inspection is to document every flight in the log books until you reach the 50 hrs. There are some things to do and I think that is what you need. I can't quit remember, but they are stalls and such along with airspeed checks. Just document those things, once you get the inspection, the faa don't give a squat about you any more. The only thing left is to do the 50 and document or write your wording in the logs to remove yourself from phase 1. I did my own thing and circled the field for the first few hours and removed the cowl and inspected everything after each flight. My advice is to be smart and don't go wandering off, for if there is trouble, the airfield under you is a good feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerrytex View Post
    Randy,

So you didn't need a written flight test plan?

I was originally going to use the FAA for the inspection so I wanted to make sure I had EVERYTHING that I needed because I heard some of the inspectors can be very critical on every piece of paperwork. Now I switched to using a DAR so I can bounce ideas or questions off of him but I would still like to have my ducks in a row and make the inspection as easy as I can for him.

That's a drag about the filter. I just bought and installed a billet aluminum filter because I was leary of the glass filters. I'll run this by the DAR I am using and see if I need to go back to the "cheesy" glass filter.

Thanks

Jerry
    I had a copy of the AC 90-89 in my builders log,he saw that I had it in there and ask me if I had read it.That was about all their was to it on that subject.The biggest deal was the having all the placards such as fuel markings,experimental,passenger warning,etc.You even need to have Open and Close markings on your door.Also make sure all your switches are marked and if you use fuse holders make sure they are marked with the proper amps and have extra fuses in aircraft. Randy

EAA Flight Advisors can help with a flight test plan. The general idea is to accomplish two things:
    1. Discover and fix any discrepancies.
    2. Perform tests to either create or validate your POH.

You can easily spend the phase one time performing tests to determine or validate the POH parameters such as takeoff distance, climb rate, climb angle, stall speeds, best glide, etc. Performance parameters such as fuel flow and airspeeds will give you range and endurance. Controlled aft CG tests will give you loading restrictions. Some aerodynamics nerd can devise a test for neutral point determination and then calculate aft CG limits. The list goes on and on.

Enjoy the time to get to know your airplane. - Don

Inspection done! Airworthiness certificate in hand!

Thanks to everyone that helped out with advice and answers.

Hope to have maiden flight next week.

SWEET,Great feeling when that is over,good job..........Randy