Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: flight test program

Default flight test program

Anyone have a flight test program that they have used to get their airworthiness inspection? Like to to get an idea on wha I need to have in it.

Also I have read that the pitot system has to have been checked or certified. Is this the case and if so, does anyone know how to go about getting that done?

I am in contact with the FAA scheduling my inspection and I want to have all my ducks in a row.

Any other pointers or bits of advice are welcome.

Thanks

Smile Re: flight test program

Hello JerryTex

If you go to http://www.eaa1000.av.org/technicl/instcal/instcal.htm they explain how to do this. I did my Vixen last year before inspection.

Works great.

Have fun.

Don

Default Re: flight test program

the dar that inspected mine never mentioned a pitot test . i had accomplished the pitot test but nothing was documented . as it turned out , it was good that i had done the test , since the surgical tube that connected the pitot tube to the poly hose had rotted . i would have had zero airspeed on first flight . for the test i had access to a manometer which worked good .
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

These FAA Advisory Circulars contain a wealth of helpful information for builders:

- AC 20-27G (Certification and Operation of Amateur-Built Aircraft) CLICK HERE

Lotsa other good stuff in the FAA Library if you have patience to sift through it.

Good luck with your inspection!
    -Aeropro CZ Aerotrek A240 Tri-Gear SLSA 912uls
    -Airdale Avid+ on CZAW Amphibs 'FatAvid Floater' (building)
    -Kitfox 4-1200 TD 912ul (sold)
    -Kitfox Model III TD 582 (R.I.P.)
    -Avid Flyer Mk-IV TD (sold)

Thanks for all the info. I have read through the AC's and get the idea of what the flight test is but I'd like to find someone that has a copy of their flight test to see what format was used. I am a little stumped on how to write it all up in a way that makes sense and is in a useable format and also passes muster with the FAA. I hope that makes sense?

my advice, get a hold of the FSDO in YOUR area, or the DAR, and get what they want you to do. Asking someone like me and what I had to do will not do you any good. Your going to have to do what your people want YOU to do. period.

I have not heard of an inspector wanting to see a Flight test plan. It is a good idea to have one though. let me see if this works. I'll try to attach the one I got from a Military test pilot kitfox builder about 10 years ago. It is an excellent plan. Not all items are specific to every kitfox but you can use what you want. If you print it be ready for 280 pages.

Edit: Well, it didn't attach. It's 293 KB. The limit here is 19. let me know if you want me to email it to you.
    Last edited by t j; 07-22-2011 at 04:47 PM.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

What I'm getting out of his test flight plan is not going up and circleing overhead, removing the cowl and looking things over...

I'm getting that he wants to know what the requirments are to get the airplane through certification. Correct me if I'm wrong. If it's the later, he needs to get a hold of the person doing the inspection and get a list of things they want.

If it's the previous than I can gives some good advice on that subject.

I have talked to a couple of people that have gone through the process and have a basic understanding of what I need. A real good guide as someone mentioned is AC 90-89. I am just going to take relevant items from this guide and incorporate it into my flight test plan. I am going to list out the things that I wish to accomplish and document that they did or did not occur. i.e. make sure the plane does what it's supposed to do when it's supposed to do it.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Should have a test flight in the near future!

I just had my DAR inspection a couple weeks ago,everything went well until he got to my ELT,he asked where my remote switch was and I didnt have one.I put in a used ELT which is fine for a used plane but will not pass on a new experimental built plane.It must be C91a and not the old C91.He asked me if I had read the AC90-89 flight test procedure which I had.I also had a nice billet aluminum fuel filter that I had to remove and replace it with a cheapo seethru plastic one.They have to have a bypass spring in the filter if it is not a seethru type so he let me switch it while he was there.Other than that things went well.A FAA guy came with the DAR as he has to be checked out by the FAA once a year so I got a double whammy.Slyfox is right call your local FSDO and they will help you more than you think.I went through Spokane Washington and they were all helpful. Good Luck Randy