Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Insurance

Default Insurance

Does anyone know of a good insurance company for Kitfox on Full Lotus floats? My rates through US Specialty went from about $1200/year to about $4500 for not in motion coverage with no accidents or incidents. I can only find this 1 company to insure a Kitfox on floats. Thanks, Jeff

Default Re: Insurance

Did you try EAA insurance brokerage? There is an '800' number on your membership card.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I am insured with AOPA.

I don't have floats but their price for in motion coverage was better than what I got from EAA.

I use Kel Petersen & Associates. Have had very good luck with them. 800-777-5960

Try aviation insurance managers, http://www.aimofohio.com/

I had my model 5 insured through them and they were the most reasonable i could find.

Try getting that same quote in AK. For the 3 months of summer on floats it was gonna run me almost 6 grand. With Just under 2000 hrs tail wheel time hull was 1900 a year. YIKES.

I just got a quote for $1500.00 through EAA.

I have zero time in the plane, low hours PIC so I am assuming that it is why it is so high.

Problem is...the airplane fund is pretty much depleted so I was wondering if there are others that accept the risk and fly without insurance?

Would also help if the insurance companies would let you pay monthly like car insurance instead of having to come up with the full $1500.

Just noticed that this post was for floats. That qoute that I got was just plain tailwheel.

I flew my Kitfox III for a couple years without insurance. I bought insurance through the EAA last year. Seems like it is about $850 liability and hull. I have 300+ hours in my kitfox. I was at Sun N Fun this spring in the tornado. I was a mile from my plane when it hit but was at peace knowing I was covered. I've been in 2 weather events at flyins. I survived both with no damage so far.
    Pete
    Leander, TX
    Model III SN 1000
    Grove

I would much sooner fly without hull coverage, than without liability. You can come up with a lot of situations where your plane may damage some Million $ aircraft, and the accumulated assets of a lifetime are at risk to pay damages. Something as simple as a wind gust blowing your Kitfox into a Lear, and you are responsible for inadequate tie-down. And even if you are not responsible, you could spend thousands on lawyers proving it. Shop for a good deal. I got two quotes recently, and the AOPA broker quote was double the EAA broker quote. Actual company I had never heard of though. Read the fine print.
    Dwight B. Van Zanen
    Maple Valley, WA and
    West Columbia, SC
    PP/ASEL/IA
    Avid Mk 4 Aerobat

This is what I do and yes it leaves me exposed to sun-n-fun type disasters but is limited to my plane. Even in those situations I feel the engine and avionics are likely recoverable and the rest I built once and can do again. At this point in my life though I agree with DBVZ and would not fly without liability coverage. For what it is worth I use Avemco.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive