Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Really trailerable?

Default Re: Really trailerable?

Yes it is.. I know of several but one comes to mind immediately....

Jud Parker - Last months KOTM

Jud folded his wings and trailered back and forth to the Whiteman regional airport in Southern California for over 7 years.. He claims he could have his aircraft on the trailer and down the road in under 30 minutes.

If the tail is kept level and the transport kit is used de-fueling is really not necessary but it is a good idea to have as little fuel as possible.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    John McBean
    www.kitfoxaircraft.com

"The Sky is not the Limit... It's a Playground"

I made some wing supports for mine. I just used 1/2" electrical conduit and a turnbuckle. It may not be "required", but it makes me feel better to know that that part of the wing that is hanging out there has at least some support. It has to be doing some good.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by vetdrem; 11-22-2008 at 08:25 AM. Reason: add pics (if I can figure out how to do it)

WE have a Transport kit.. Wing tie backs, wing supports and a tail pad. It is in our catalog that is coming soon.
    John McBean
    www.kitfoxaircraft.com

"The Sky is not the Limit... It's a Playground"

do you have a price $ on the towing kit....thanks...mike

Quote Originally Posted by s10sakota View Post
    I would like to know if it is really possible to keep a Kitfox at home and trailer it to the airport.
    In my photo's on my profile is a drawing of a trailer to tow a kitfox safely to anywhere you like,..it's an open trailer..you can use a doner boat trailer to get started.

Quote Originally Posted by s10sakota View Post
    All of these replies were very helpful. The answer that I have come up with is, NO...it's not really possible to trailer the airplane back and forth. .
    So you winch the tailwheel up the ramp till the mains are touching thier ramps.
    The aircraft should be in level flight attitude. Fold the wings, they are light weight now because of the attitude and they don't drip fuel at the filler cap.
    Attach and fasten all supports.
    Continue winching the tail uphill and raise the front wheels home.
    The idea is that the tail must be raised to keep the wings horizontal.
    When taking off the trailer; unwinch till the mains touch the ground and unfold the wings.

It is too big for your garage, I made a barn at the house to store out of the weather.
    Eric

I use to haul 73DS all over the place,..with full tanks,..the guy I sold it to ,..in NH hauls it too,..on the same trailer I built for it..(the kitfox2 on my profile pic)
    I would roll the fox back all the way onto the trailer first,..attach it at the tail and then main wheels,..then swing the wings back,..put the wing supports on,..then go,..
    Mr Nash ,..the person that bought it from me put a lean to on the side of his garage to park the plane on the trailer so it was already to go when he was ready to fly.
    The idea is to make excuse as to why the kitfox is the right plane ,,not to make excuses as to why it is not