Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What should be in my tool box?

Default Re: What should be in my tool box?

Pinking shears, and lots of disposable brushes - it looks like everything else is spoken for.

Lowell

First, you can never have too many tools. My friends call me the "tool junkie".

Here's my input for the five best bang-for-the-buck shop tools when building a Kitfox.

1. A vertical metal cutting bandsaw. There are lots of parts that need fabrication and a hacksaw is either too much work or too crude. Even a small band saw is worth it's weight in av-gas.

2. Dremel Rotary tool. It's great for detail work and fitting of parts. Get a good supply of sanding drums as they work better on aluminum than grinding stones. A flap wheel puts beautiful radius edges on parts.

3. A 6 inch stationary belt sander with 9 inch disc sander combination. It makes short work of fabricating all the little brackets. Good for grinding aluminum. Nothing matches the versatility of this tool.

4. Drill press. Hand held drilling is no match for a drill press when it comes to accurately placing holes.

5. More drill bits than you think you need. A complete set of number bits and fractional bits is a must. Don't skimp on the quality, here. Cheap drills dull easily and make sloppy holes. Bargain drill bits are never a bargain. Get a pile of extra #30 and 40 bits. You'll go through them like popcorn at the Majestic.

The above five items will add only 2 percent to the cost of the airplane and you will own them when the aircraft is completed.

Now for the ultimate wish list... What the tool junkie has in the shop.

I love having a vertical knee mill. It makes perfect parts in minutes. It's also a precision drill press. It's way too big, but I never regret having it take up a huge chunk of floor space in the corner of my shop. I made the bird mouth cuts in the wing spar inserts, today. Using the mill it took 10 minutes including set up to do four bird mouth cuts. No sawing, no cursing. A hack saw and file would take hours.

Heat and A/C. Ahhh... luxury!!! My shop is 900 sq. ft. I have a small wall mount unit that pumps in heat in the winter and AC in the summer. We're talking cushy. No hunkering down in winter. Just walk in, take off your jacket and put on the coffee pot. No sweat in the summer.

Urinal behind the door. Installed last year. It has its own little stall for privacy. No tracking dirt or grease into the house when you gotta go NOW!!! No stepping out to the wood pile in back. It's what make the shop a true "man cave".

And the number one shop item... A functional coke machine circa 1970... 50 cents a pop. 12 selections. The bottom two slots are not labeled. (MGD and Shiner for happy hour.) A birthday gift from my wife.

John Pitkin
    Greenville, TX

Long #30 and #40 drill bits for the hard to reach places and a couple of adjustable cargo straps for holding the wings together during build.

Dick B

Geez John, create a little shop envy much. My shop was holding up ok till you got to the urinal and the coke machine. Do you ever get tired of being the middle man and just dump the coke straight into the urinal
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

bench grinder and vise.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

oh and I had a urinal outside the door also, I let it go into the wind.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

I like the urinal idea as my hangar is stuck on the side of my house and the track in stuff is real - I often see my wife forcing a smile as she vacuums up the little aluminum chips off the carpet.

John, I also like the milling machine idea. I have one as well - a small one, but to be fair to the non tool junkie guys, I seriously think I could finish the fish mouths just as fast by hand. For me, lay out is the time consuming part (aside from set-up), and I doubt I could do that in ten minutes. I would use a step drill for the internal radius, a hand hack saw for a rough cut and my 2" vertical belt sander for the final finish.

Regarding power tools - in the under $100 catagory, I honestly think the one I use the most every day and would miss the most is the expander wheel I picked up from Eastwood during my car restoration days in the early 80s (Google Eastwood auto). The bands last almost forever and it is great for deburring drilled holes and edges of fabricated parts.

I think all in all, the fabrication part is minimal in the 1000 or so hours put in on a project. For me, the fitting, fabric, paint and what is called final assembly consumes the bulk of the time and the only powered tool that would help there would be spending too much time putting quarters in my vending machine (if I was so lucky).

Lowell

When you start working the electrical...
    - The book The Aeroelectric Connection by Bob Nuckolls http://www.aeroelectric.com/Catalog/pub/pub.html#P-Book
    - A good PIDG ratcheting crimp is priceless (AMP makes a good one)
    - A wide assortment of PIDG terminals (1/4" fast on's, ring, splice)
    - A good wire stripper
    - A Multimeter... I use a good one in the shop but will carry a very small light one in the plane (found at Harbot Freight for $4) I teach electronics at the high school and the cheap ones will last quite a while. I think I used the continuity tester to trace wires in the plane more than anything.
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ

Thanks for all the inputs and the reminders to look back at the materials I got at the fabric and electrical workshops I have attended.
    I do not have the Kitfox Builder's Manual yet.
    John, having lived in the Fort Worth area for 10 years (and my wife being a native of Fort Worth) we both enjoyed reading about your shop. My father-in-law has thick, insulated garage doors and a swamp cooler to make life in the "shop" bearable in the summer.
    - Gary
    S7 SuperSport Tri-gear
    w/Rotax 912, Oratex, Dynon