Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Kitfox Bugs

Default Kitfox Bugs

I have a few bugs left in my kitfox 2,I installed the 18-3558 thermostat and it seems tobe keeping the temp right around the 160 degrees which is great, the problem is I no longer get any heat in side the cabin, do you guys still block off some of the radiator so the thermostat stays open for cabin radiator to heat up?
    Second problem is my compass does not work properly in the plane because of all the metal parts,I pull it out and it works fine,is there any tricks or is it just a cheep compass,not sure of brand but it does say made in China
    The last problem is the vent line from the gasolator to the right wing tank. Did the wing tank on the kitfox 2 (6 gal tank I think) have a bung hole for the venting, My wing is cover over with fabric in the location it should be and I didn't want to cut it out unless theres a chance it has a vent hole in it .
    Other than that its been great ski flying up here

Thanks

Default Re: Kitfox Bugs

Where is your thermostat housing? Before or after the heater core branch?

I would think that you would want the heater core supply to come off the line prior to the thermostat (like in a car) rather than after. This way you are getting flow from the engine at all times and the heater core is acting like the radiator.

(Does that make sense? I don't know if my thought is coming out right...)
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

HI Marshawk,

Av8R3400's comment is right on the money - the heater has to be plumbed in between the engine and thermostat - The thermostat keeps coolant from going to the radiator until the coolant is warmed up over the temp setting of the T-stat so covering the radiator would not help anyway. If the heater is plumbed in after the t-stat - you are not getting hot water into the heater - and there is no circulation till the t-stat opens.

On the compass - I feel your pain - I found that the magnetic gremlins in the airframe wouldn't permit the compass to work in the customary and usual places like over the center of the glareshield or hanging from the front carry-through tube. I first tried a vertical card compass - it was impossible in the airframe but worked just fine away from the plane. I have not had much experience with exorcisims of magnetic gremlins so I took a different tact. John McBean told me he had good luck with the SIRS compass - it has excellent compensation compared to other compasses. I finally found that the compass would work well if mounted on either the far left or far right of the glareshield - compensation at that point took very little for it to be right on. So I have the SIRS and it is located on the left side of the glareshield - should be a photo of it in my members photo section. Some folks might not like the location but I like the fact it actually works in that spot - the alternative pretty much sucked hangar dust........

Someone else will have to suggest help on the vent line - it's different on our series 7.

Sincerely,

Dave S

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Hi, I had similiar compass deviation problems, well , the compass was basically frozen when I tried to mount it on the glare shield center. The compass I have works up by the front spar carry thru tube, so I made a mount and that is where it is, center of front carry thru tube, the deviation is small with it there. Kevin

I'll Look into the SIRS compass. Unless I use an inline thermostat I don't think I have many options on the plumbing, The thermostat housing bolts directly onto the 582 greyhead. Thanks for the Rely's

Would like to hear from any other kitfox 2 owners on were they run there vent line from the gasolatoris , is there a fitting on the right wing tank for this vent line?