Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Bush Gear

Default Bush Gear

I would like to weld up my own Bush gear. Does anyone know where to get some plans? Metal specs, springs, etc. Yes I know John sells them at Kitfox but would like to give it a try. I am a journeyman welder and it doen't look that tough. Any ideas where to look? Google has not been very successful

Default Re: Bush Gear

If you are a journeyman welder/fabricator, do up your own plans/design.

Asking for the intellectual property (plans) of a new product will most likely not get you anywhere. The people who designed these gear have time, engineering and prototyping expenses to cover by selling the complete gear. I doubt that they would just give this away by selling the plans.

(I wouldn't. No offense intended.)
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I have been contemplating the same thing for my Kitfox 3. I have the Wag Aero Sport cub plans and it gives some good detail of the gear and the cabane V constuction. I believe that that this will get me close. My only problem is my stock KF 3 gear is bent enough to not feel comfortable to know where the axles need to be fore and aft . The coil spring struts are a mystery also.

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r3400 View Post
    If you are a journeyman welder/fabricator, do up your own plans/design.

Asking for the intellectual property (plans) of a new product will most likely not get you anywhere. The people who designed these gear have time, engineering and prototyping expenses to cover by selling the complete gear. I doubt that they would just give this away by selling the plans.

(I wouldn't. No offense intended.)

In using this logic, why have a forum for builder support and ideas.. Everyone should only contact the factory. No one should be using the 11 dollar thermostat you can get at Napa or any parts store for the 582, they should only use the one from Rotax for 125 bucks. 98% of the guys flying the planes do not have the facilities or skills (or want to) to build the gear.

I have talked to several of the outfits that are building the "bush" or "cub" style gear and NONE of them I have talked to have really taken the plane out and beat the crap out of the gear to see how well they are going to hold up. I would like to know how they can market "bush" gear when none of them have really taken it out into the "bush" for proper testing. I can tell you that before Atlee Dodge put out the extended and heavy duty gear for the cubs, it got the ever loving crud beat out of it because they knew where this gear was going to be used. Personally, I would rather build my own gear, beefed up a bit for the purpose I intend to use it for out in the rough stuff, not a grass or gravel strip. I would like to see the manufactures that have built them get some good video and testimony (and not that it just works great on grass) to really sell their products! I would be willing to bet that a few good videos of these gears really being put through the paces would help move them off the shelfs and onto planes.

Another example would be those who build ski's. I am not interested in how well they work in a little 6" fluff on top of hard pack. I want to know that they have been tested and proven out in the steep and deep and when I set down on a swamp with 6+' of new snow I wont sink in to the belly and have to spend 10+ hrs with the snow shoes on packing down a ramp to get out.

I am not saying this to take away from any of the outfits that are building the gear or any other parts for our planes! I am very greatful that new and better options are being developed for our planes. I am saying that we should NOT discourage the spirit of the home builder that makes our planes so damn cool.

I contacted one of the sellers of the "Bush Gear" and talked for some time.
    I was told they didn't reccomend their gear on a Kitfox 1-2-3 because the fus tubing is to small and with the longer leverage of the extended gear one would have to be very careful while landing.
    I have the Avid extended gear and its really a great improvement, but don't ususlly use any "careful" in landing.

I can attest to that

FWIW, when I did the rebuild on mine, I plated the sides of the fuse from the lift strut attach point to the firewall. I saw where the fuse failures were and took the hit on the extra pound of metal. Seat truss was beefed up to with plate webs welded in.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by akflyer; 09-19-2010 at 10:39 PM.

There is definatly some reinforcement that should be done in the fuselage on my KF3. I also keep thinking some big Alaska Bush Wheel tires would cushion the gear allot also. Too bad they are so $$$$$.

Thanks to all who have responded. I am not looking for a freebe. People sell plans for just about anything and I was just wondering why not bush gear? I have taken measurements and pictures from a number of gear but I am NOT an engineer. I know I could make what "looks" like a bush gear but it is the technology behind paint. Type and gauge of tubing etc. So if you know of someone who sells plans let me know. txs

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/avid_flyer/files/

Scroll down to the Avid Spring Gear file. If you are not singed up, or if you dont wantt o sign up I can email you the file.