Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I would like a plane...

Default Re: I would like a plane...

Correction, 51% needs to be amateur built (you and/or other amateurs), it also appears I was mistaken in that the night restriction only applies to the Sport Pilot not the LSA plane.
    Last edited by Dorsal; 08-31-2010 at 03:44 PM.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

and it depends on how you document the build. The guy that originally built mine could not tell me a darn thing about it, which led me to believe that he had "others" build it, but he still got the repairman certificate for it.

Andrew G wrote
    So, instead of buying an LSA craft and living with 1,320 lbs limitations and no (occasional) night flying, I guess I have to "build" one to achieve 1,550 lbs gross-- which is hugely important to me...
    I wonder if you could purchase a completed 1320 gross weight experimental amateur built series 7 and increase the gross weight to 1550? there seems to be no difference in the airframe except the landing gear...maybe. It might be worth asking your FSDO.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Good point...
    NOKITFOXYET

OK Steve, I cant take it any more....

Where is the requirement for a 1320 "gross" weight, and where on your FAA paperwork for YOUR plane does it list a gross? My Airworthiness does not have it, and none of the other Experimental planes I have looked at has a gross weight listed.

Given we are talking whats legal and not what the plane is capable of then I am ASSUMING the following.

If a plane is certified as an LSA, which a factory built plane would be, then I believe the 1320 is implied and it is not legal to fly the plane over that MTOW.

Other than that I agree that MTOW is not listed on my certification or anywhere else on the plane except the POH. I have seen it listed on a data plate but that is at the discretion of the builder. I did have to submit a signed copy of my weight and balance with my application that did list the maximum weight, not sure what, if any, legal ramifications are of flying over that number.
    Last edited by Dorsal; 09-02-2010 at 12:38 PM.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

(hypothetical) So, if I accepted delivery on a factory built (LSA), 1320 max, and then upgraded the gear to the heavier 1550 rated gear and an in-flight adjustable prop (major modification); couldn't I recertify the plane as 1550? Understanding that the plane would be Experimental (not amateur built) and would require an A&P to sign off on the annual conditional inspections.

Again I think the question is can you take an LSA, modify it and then re-certify it as a non LSA. Certainly there are examples of certified planes that are allowed to increase MTOW, a friend recently put a bigger engine in his 172 and got to increase the limit. As for changing the type certification I have to imagine that gets significantly more challenging. I believe I read, naturally can't remember where now, that once an LSA always an LSA.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

My point was, as soon as you make a change to an LSA, it is no longer an LSA. Similarly if you take a Cessna 172 and put a non-certified engine in it, it is no longer a certified aircraft, it becomes an experimental.

Maybe the nice Kitfox people can help clarify/interpret these important questions... but you guys are on the right track in terms of your points and questions... and that is why I am a little lost...

It's going to take a couple more years for the market and FAA to clarify this stuff on a wide scale.
    NOKITFOXYET