Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Can I work on my Kitfox?

Question Can I work on my Kitfox?

Guys and Gals,

I am new to the homebuilt world and I have researched the regulations and would love your thoughts and guidance.

I recently bought a used Kitfox IV-1050. I am the 3rd owner. The guy before me performed all of the maintenance himself and logged most of the major work in the logbooks.

He routinely got condition inspection by a certified A&P with IA signature authority.

Question... can I legally work on my Kitfox? I am aware of the LSA 16 and 120 hour courses but I don't think that applies to a registered homebuilt unless you took the opportunity to get your Kitfox re-registered as an LSA.

If I cannot work on the aircraft what do I need to do about all of the prior non-legal work so that be assured that my insurance company won't void my coverage in the event I need it someday.

Would love dialogue on this topic.

Default Re: Can I work on my Kitfox?

Yes, you can do all maintenance or whatever you want. Major modifications may require additional fly-off periods (others here will have more details on this).

You are only subject to having and A&P (AI is not necessary) do the annual condition inspection.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

thanks for the reply. To be clear I didn't build the aircraft. I see there is an FAA process for obtaining an builder's repairman's certificate but what about a second hand owner? Or is the repairman's certificate only good for signing off condition inspections?

I did not build my planes, either.

The repairman's certificate is what you would need to do your own annual condition inspection and sign it off in the logs.

As an example for the non-builder owner:

• Just before it is required, you can go through all of the items on the annual condition inspection, make any repairs necessary and document them in the logs.
    • Then take the plane to your A&P where (s)he needs to inspect the plane, hopefully finding nothing you missed (it's a good cross check anyway).
    • Then the A&P needs to fill out the log with the proper statement about being inspected for condition, etc, etc.

This scenario is perfectly legal.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Awesome!!! Thanks for clearing this up for me.
    ~Jason