Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Wing disassesmbly

Default Wing disassesmbly

Given the expoxy construction is it possible to remove and replace ribs in the wings? In this case all of them without damage to the main tubing?

If so, are plans available for the ribs and false ribs or are they available anywhere as a purchase item (this is for a Model III).

Many thanks,

Larry S.
    Last edited by LSaupe; 10-02-2014 at 01:42 AM.

Default Re: Wing disassesmbly

It is possible but...You would have to remove all the rivets attaching the drag tube brackets from the rear spar. The epoxy will soften with a heat gun. You have to be careful not to burn the wood and you then have to remove the epoxy with a scraper that won't scratch the spars.

For what its worth. I salvaged all the ribs and hardware off a wing with one bent spar to use to build a new wing. I used a wood scraper to try and save the unbent spar. I ended up replacing both the bent spar and the straight one and used new inserts (I beams) due to the abuse I inflicted on the old ones.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

I know a guy who tried to do this. He ended up salvaging all the ribs, but could not avoid damaging the spar and had to buy new spars.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Thank you for the feedback. In my case I would need to save the spars at the sacrifice the ribs.

Okay that would be an easier job. To remove the hardware I drilled all the rivets out of the drag tubes, drag tube brackets, and strut attach fittings with a 1/8th (.1250) size drill bit which is slightly smaller than the #30 (.1285) drill used to make the original holes in the parts for the rivets. You don't need to remove the strut attach fittings.

Cut the ribs close to the hardware and with a little heat you can pop the remaining wood off, and the hardware off the spars. Clean the remaining epoxy on the spars where the new ribs will be attached with a little heat and a plastic or wood scraper. I think the old 3M epoxy has some asbestos in it so check that out and use proper protection methods.

Buy a big hand full of good quality 1/8th drill bits, don't push the drill too hard and change to a new bit at the first sign one is dull.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder