Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kitfox IV fatality

Default Re: Kitfox IV fatality

last night I had a problem with my RV on takeoff. The power went down and started runing rough. I continued the best I could until I got to 600ft. I than told the tower I was coming back for the parrallel rwy opposite direction. Sure I could have been all flipped out and such, but I do this stuff all the time in the kitfox. I focused on airspeed and made a right turn first and than left, maintaining airspeed, I didn't give a care about rpm or anything else, except airspeed and the amount of angle of attack, I kept the airspeed up and the angle as little as possible. At the same time I was making sure the prop was flat, the mixture rich, turned on the aux fuel pump and switched tanks, nothing helped. I even tried leaning a little. Now I'm turned around, which was done right over the departing runway, now I needed to get down, full flaps and slipped major and made the left runway. beautiful landing, later found the injectors got plugged up.

I make practice flights like this all the time, I even had this type of thing happen on the kitfox, did the same thing then also. I tell ya, when it does happen it's like slow motion, any kind of problem will go into slow motion mode. If you practice emergency flying, like returning back for landing, when it happens it will be second nature and just happen. I don't feel I was lucky last night, I just flew the plane.
    Last edited by Slyfox; 06-02-2009 at 07:32 AM.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Default Re: Kitfox IV fatality

Good job Steve. Your training and practice payed off.

"Fly the airplane."

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Cool Re: Kitfox IV fatality

Hi Everyone,

Just returned from the Memorial for Harvey Leyde in Corona. Spent time with his wife Cheryl and his two sons and family. It was very touching with a flight of three Stearman in the "Missing Man" formation.

I had printed the comments on this thread for her and she is grateful for your kind thoughts.

I am also grateful for them and the priviledge of knowing Harvey just as I am grateful for the many friends I get to fly with.

There are many dangerous hobbies that people enjoy, probably more dangerous than flying. Often people are hurt, sometimes we experience a fatality, nearly all accidents are preventable with experience, judgment and wisdom.

If Harvey had survived, he would put the plane back together and go flying again, so would I.

Pete