Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Kitfox7 build time.

Default Kitfox7 build time.

Hi guys I'm Nick...my first post...I fly ultralights trikes in the UK...we call them Microlights over here,

Anyway my buddy who is not into using the pc has said he likes the look of the Mk 7 Kitfox as a kit for himself to build,

He is new to aviation and just started flying lessons and know nothing of aircraft construction, he is a very good auto mechanic also he is retired so has plenty of spare time and a large workshop,

He asked me to ask you guys for a ballpark time to build the mk7 kit in tail-wheel form,

Here in the UK we cant use the fast build process like pre made wings,

He will be doing his pilot training on a tricycle undercarriage type aircraft....I wonder how much of a handful the tail-wheel type will be for him.

Nick.

Default Re: Kitfox7 build time.

Kitfox 4 (1050)
    912UL
    Based in UK

I am building a Kitfox SS7 and presently have about 900 hours in it (no quick build options). The wings and fuse are done and I have started covering-all tailfeathers are covered and I am just starting the wing covering. I still have the painting and all the firewall forward work to do and the panel. I am thinking probably about 1500 hours total when finished. I am very careful and meticulous and it is my first build. I can't imagine anyone finishing in 1000 hours without quick build options, but some say they can.

Jim

Smile Re: Kitfox7 build time.

You can have the quick build wing option in the uk at least I hope so as I am building one, so far I have spent over1000 hrs just about to cover the fuselage!
    Dave
    Dave Holl
    Building Kitfox MK7
    Rotax 912ULS

I built my plane in something over 1500 hours working only Saturdays.

I did this for nearly 5 years and then when I retired I worked 40 hour weeks on it for one additional month to finish it off.

Now my plane isn't what most Kitfox builders build so it may not be the gage you want to reference against, but it is the first plane I built for myself and I am a bit of a perfectionist.

I have heard that it is possible to build a kitfox in something around 800-1000 hours depending on how it is outfitted and what level of detail you plan to do on it. Show quality planes will require lots of additional hours.

I fly with and individual that has built two of the kitfoxes in 90 days or less (one was a s5 and one was a s7)

Thank you guys...very useful information...all passed on to my friend.

Nick.