Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Bias Tapes Are Great

As I mentioned a short while ago, I am starting to cover my Kitfox 7 with the Polyfiber System. I started with the tail feathers, this may have not been smart because of all the curved edges. Wings have no curved edges and probably would have been easier.

Anyway, I figured the curves would be difficult, so I went and ordered a roll of 3" bias cut tape from Debra since the kit only comes with straight tapes. I'm happy I did! That bias tape is wonderful stuff; it goes around curves and lays flat without wrinkles like magic. I would like to recommend this route to anyone covering curved edges.

I know you can heat form a straight tape around a curve with work and patience, but these bias tapes do it without any heat whatsoever! The only downside is that the tape shrinks from 3" wide to a little over 2" when you pull it around the curve, or along a straight edge also. This can make it a little more difficult to keep the tape edge nice and straight, but is no real problem with a little care.

Please excuse the exuberance of a newbie discovering something new.

Jim

Default Re: Bias Tapes Are Great

Duly noted by this newbie. I'll make sure and get some when I'm ready to start covering. Thanks!
    Doug
    Super Sport
    912ULS
    Constant Speed IVOProp

Default Re: Bias Tapes Are Great

I should have put this in the Building Tips section. Maybe one of the moderators can do it.

Jim