Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: IPAD as Only Display

Default IPAD as Only Display

What do you guys think as using an IPAD as the only flight display. Since its a VFR and can be flown by the seat of your pants anyway. There are so many cool apps now that are either free or just a few bucks and you get the navigation to boot. Are there any requirements for experimental aircraft concerning flight instruments?

Default Re: IPAD as Only Display

Might work, some times a little slow. If for some reason it decides to turn the GPS off, all on its own, it is a little difficult to do it while flying! Also on a long cross country, I had to power mine down and restart in flight. Also difficult in flight.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

I love my iPad and use it on every flight. It isn't bulletproof though. I've had Foreflight crash in flight and iPads will shut down if they get too warm. I now do a full power down / reset before each flight to help with the crashing problem.

In a nutshell, I wouldn't use an iPad for anything mission critical unless you've got a backup. Time for a second iPad?

-- Paul S

I'm sure it could be done. In my use in cockpit it's not that great with bright sun. As to what are the requirements? They are the same as for any other plane, you need to have the basics covered. Nothing saying you can't make ASI & ALT interfaces to your IPAD, but you are going to need more than just the onboard GPS to do it.
    Andy Karmy
    Kitfox 7 - 912S - SOLD
    Auburn, WA

http://kitfoxflying.com

It's hard to believe but actually there are no required insturments for day VFR in an experimental aircraft.
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...PBfYgg&cad=rja
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder